Post by nikos »

here's the comment area for today's blog post found at
http://zabkat.com/blog/unlock-key-troubles.htm
Tuxman
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Re: blog: all your xplorer2 activation woes explained

Post by Tuxman »

In an ideal world, you wouldn't be reading this part...
Being a typical inhabitant of the ideal world, I like to know what could have gone wrong even if everything worked for me so I'm prepared for later. :)
Tux. ; tuxproject.de
registered xplorer² pro user since Oct 2009, ultimated in Mar 2012
snemarch
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by snemarch »

It would be nice if you didn't try to be sneaky in the license manager - it's not stopping the pirates (cracks appear shortly enough after new version releases), but it does cause some annoyances for legitimate customers (at least that's the case for 1.8.x series). It's annoying having to launch with elevated privileges just for a silly license manager.

Also, my favorite way of doing Windows installs is setting everything up in a VM then transferring to the physical machine - which invalidates the activation. That's obviously not a very common scenario for most people :), and reinstalls are infrequent enough that neither that nor elevation are major pain points.

But it always gets me slightly sad when good programmer effort is wasted on stuff that's not effective, especially when it causes end-user grief as well.
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

all this only applies for the older version 1.x which indeed did some funky unnecessary things. Since version 2 all you need to do is put your unlock key in a file called X2.LIC and paste it in the installation folder.
snemarch
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by snemarch »

Thanks for clearing that up, Nikos - I might look into getting a more recent version :)