build 3401 released

Discussion & Support for xplorer² professional

Moderators: fgagnon, nikos, Site Mods

nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

build 3401 released

Post by nikos »

only a small bugfix with the F5 copy dialog... where are the real bugs? :)
help > check for updates to get yours

ps the installer has a "bug" it says it is version 3400, but don't worry the files inside are version 3.401 :oops:
pj
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: build 3401 released

Post by pj »

Real bugs? "REAL BUGS" you ask?

Well, I still call the loss of tab history when x2 exits or abends to be a bug!

Yes, i know it's WAD, but it's a poor design! Please, please include this in the next release! I can't tell you the number of times I could have benefitted when x2 dies and I have to try to recreate the tab context of 12 tabs across slow network links. Oh the pain, the pain!

And another thing, I'm sure I'd have had plenty of time to beta test K's latest mind-splunk had this feature been incorporated last year, so now you see this is another fine mess you've gotten me into this time! (he says as he tries to recover from the bad press K heaped upon his poor, down-trodden back)

---------------------------
PJ in (sunny and warm) FL
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

I must have said it many times but for you the real problem is the crashing, not tab history. xplorer2 never crashes for me, and so it should be for everyone. Please try to find a reproducible pattern and send me HELP > CRASH INFORMATION file when this happens again
pj
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by pj »

Crashes are not the only way to lose the tab history. Any time I have to close and reopen X2 the history is gone. Sometimes, the slow responses of the remote servers I access prevents X2 even from restoring the tabs to where they were when the program closed.

You've mentioned you have limited network configurations available for testing, so I somewhat understand your reluctance to put the effort into something you feel isn't beneficial. On the other hand I deal with multiple servers (10's) with many folders (100's) each week. The bookmark facility in x2 cannot handle the number of locations so I use bookmarks to get to the approximate location and walk the tree from there. The bookmark facility is a static list of locations, but I deal with dynamic and changing folder names so that also limits the usefulness of the bookmarks.

The slow response from the servers makes this process much more painful than if all the files were on a local drive, and it's a daily fact of life for my workflow.

Again, I fail to understand why, when you already save tab history within a session, extending this history across sessions is not an obvious enhancement. But then, from my point of view, it's just a "simple matter of programming" :)

-----------------------------
PJ in FL
Tuxman
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Tuxman »

Why is the changes.txt still not updated? Surprising new versions for everyone? :D
Tux. ; tuxproject.de
registered xplorer² pro user since Oct 2009, ultimated in Mar 2012