Windows Defender and xplorer2

Discussion & Support for xplorer² professional

Moderators: fgagnon, nikos, Site Mods

FrizzleFry
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Windows Defender and xplorer2

Post by FrizzleFry »

I installed the new Windows 10 a couple of days ago and I was reminded of one of my annoyances with Defender, the built-in anti-virus program. There are always very noticeable pauses when starting x2 or clicking on a Menu++ toolbar button or other programs. I guess Defender does some kind of online lookup for programs it does not recognize.

This has happened on multiple PCs with several versions of Windows since 8 or 8.1 (whenever MS made Defender a full av program). My solution is to disable Defender and use another av program.

Has anyone else noticed this?
Robert2
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Windows Defender and xplorer2

Post by Robert2 »

Windows Defender offers poor protection compared to other antivirus. It also does create slowdowns in applications. Installing another AV is much preferable. But if you want to stick to Windows Defender, you can add xplorer² to its exclusion list. See Add an exclusion to Windows Defender.
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

I have windows defender on but haven't noticed any delays!?
Tuxman
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Tuxman »

Robert2 wrote: 2017 Apr 09, 01:05 Windows Defender offers poor protection compared to other antivirus.
If you use anti-virus software, you're screwed.
Tux. ; tuxproject.de
registered xplorer² pro user since Oct 2009, ultimated in Mar 2012
Kilmatead
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Kilmatead »

Robert2 wrote: 2017 Apr 09, 01:05But if you want to stick to Windows Defender, you can add xplorer² to its exclusion list.
Not for nothing, but adding x2 to the exclusion list of an AV "may" be interpreted as similar to UAC elevation - you are de facto adding everything subsequently launched via x2 to the exclusion list as well, which is probably not what you were hoping to achieve. (I can't speak for WinDef, as I've never used it, but I have seen this behaviour in the rulesets of others - some experimentation might be in order before committing.) :shrug:

Just a thought.

On topic though, yes, launch-delays of x2 (and sundry) are fairly common no matter what you use, often not so much an explicit online sig-check, but usually a quick heuristic for behaviour (Does process <X> try and modify reg? No? Ok, let it run. Does process <Y> look at my little sister in a molestery way? Yes? Sequestration might be used, etc, etc, etc...). As mentioned, exclusions will usually solve these slight pauses... but...well... you know... Tux-the-Doom-Meister isn't always wrong... :wink:
FrizzleFry
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by FrizzleFry »

I might try adding x2 to the Defender exclusion list next time I install Windows to see if that helps.

Since nikos is not noticing delays with Defender I wonder if it is because I'm loading the language dll with resource tweaks.

I only consider the delays a small annoyance because I don't usually use Defender as my av, only briefly while I'm setting up after an install. Neither Panda nor Avira cause the delays that Defender does and both usually get higher marks in malware detection tests.

Thanks for the comments.
Kilmatead
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Kilmatead »

FrizzleFry wrote: 2017 Apr 09, 17:21I wonder if it is because I'm loading the language dll with resource tweaks.
Nikos neglected to mention he's also using an SSD, which makes a universe of difference for programme launches (which one tends to take for granted after awhile). Every little bit contributes... loading the INI instead of the registry (lots of excess processing there), plugins/DLL's (each of which often have their own INI's), etc.

You get the idea: it adds up.
Last edited by Kilmatead on 2017 Apr 09, 17:53, edited 1 time in total.
FrizzleFry
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by FrizzleFry »

My C: drive is an SSD also. x2 and most programs that I launch from x2 are on the SSD. I do use an ini instead of the registry so that could be a factor. But I get your point, my x2 loading process is not the same as nikos'.
Kilmatead
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Kilmatead »

We'll also note that using the "explorer replacement" mode (for those that deign to), x2 is left running in the background just for such an eventuality (and, indeed, is added to the system start-up list [HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Shared Tools\MSConfig\] with the '/Z' flag to mitigate it yet further). And, laptop bloatware is notorious for using launch-caching "helpers", to cover up the rest of the nonsense they use to slow everything down. Giveth with one hand, taketh away with the other...

Not saying any of that would effect you... just that it makes a general comparison of use-cases more difficult. People tend to forget about the little stuff. :shrug:
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

you may be barking up the wrong tree. Startup delays may be caused by mysterious things -- who would have thought that icons could be to blame?
Kilmatead
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Kilmatead »

Well, he forgot to mention he's got 92 user-commands! :D (That said, I've only got around 70-ish UC's, but only put custom icons on the ones that actually live on toolbars.)
FrizzleFry
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by FrizzleFry »

I remember that blog post... what I did was put most of the programs I have setup as user commands on my SSD drive... same with programs I have setup in several Menu++ commands...

So basically Defender causes delays because of the way it works and all the stuff I have x2 loading at startup. My takeaway... disable Defender sooner from now on :)

I tend to not use most of the Microsoft apps anyway... Windows Media Player, TV & Movies, Edge, Internet Explorer, Cortana
RightPaddock
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by RightPaddock »

FrizzleFry wrote: 2017 Apr 09, 17:21 I might try adding x2 to the Defender exclusion list next time I install Windows to see if that helps.
You don't need to reinstall windows - its in Settings, you need to pgdn to see it.

RP
Windows 10 Pro (64 bit) version 1809 - Xplorer2 version: Pro 2.5.0.4 [Unicode] x64 2014-06-21
FrizzleFry
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by FrizzleFry »

Thanks for the info but what I meant is that I probably wont mess with Defender until the next time I reinstall Windows. That's really the only time I keep it active.
Kilmatead
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Kilmatead »

FrizzleFry wrote: 2017 Apr 15, 01:20...until the next time I reinstall Windows.
Somewhat off-topic, but it's curious that MS is going out of its way to make that time-honoured task a more and more problematic thing to do by (literally) blocking updates for newer hardware. And, even more irrationally, actually blocking updates for Win10 itself.

Gone are the days when Windows was for PC enthusiasts who were encouraged to use and study a platform long enough to improve its development. :shrug: I guess entropy really does accelerate of its own accord.

On topic, however, you can take comfort that Windows Defender is incompatible with MS software as well, so Nikos isn't being targeted selectively. :D