beta 3409

Discussion & Support for xplorer² professional

Moderators: fgagnon, nikos, Site Mods

nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

beta 3409

Post by nikos »

here we go again, a new version is coming and a beta is out for you fearless testers :)
www.zabkat.com/test/xplorer2_setup64_ult_beta.exe (64 bit ultimate only)
* COLOR TAGS. Right click on any item(s) to assign them a color tag using the context menu. There are 3 predefined tag colors and one that clears tags from the selection. Tagged items are shown with a color border around their name, making them stand out. These colors don't change the actual files in any way; you just use them to mark files for whatever reason you like, e.g. for further processing. They are stored in a database that xplorer² uses to mark files. Use the new color tag filter button next to the addressbar's filter box to show only items that are tagged with specific colors.
NOTE: color tags are independent of any color coding rules you may have (CUSTOMIZE menu). The tag border is drawn on top of any color coding.

* You can color tag folders in the tree as well, but there the only gain is making a tree node stand out. You cannot filter the folder tree elements

* Color tags are only shown in the active folder pane. If you want to see tags in all panes, use the GAOPT_COLCALWAYS advanced option (previously controlling color coding only). In the advanced settings editor search for COLOR in the Global property page.

* color tags are rather fragile. If you rename a tagged file or move it to a different folder, the color information is lost. Likewise they are not very portable as paths in one computer usually cannot be found in another PC. If you need more persistent color tagging, consider the old "manual" method using file comments and color coding rules:
http://www.zabkat.com/blog/wink/colortag.htm

* [P] remember the spreadsheet rename mode to change attributes? if you enable the Color tag [S] property in detailed view mode, you can also change the color tag by providing a number directly in the item details (slow double-click on the tag column).

* [P] You can search for color tags in 2 ways. Either use the color tag filter button, or use the color tag stock property to define search rules as with any other file property. Note that using the color button is much faster, but the color tag attribute (numeric: 1=red, 2=green etc) can be combined with other search criteria.

* global registry section TAG COLORS defines custom colors to be used with color tagging. Up to 30 colors can be defined. The format is simple, a color name followed by a DWORD value which corresponds to the RGB definition of the color. Note that the red is the least significant byte so the value is (hex) BBGGRR, the inverse of what you see in color pickers.

* [P] Scrap container windows, can do custom grouping by regular expression (extending TOOLS > FUZZY GROUPS menu command). To understand what this funky command does, please see this forum topic:
http://forum.zabkat.com/viewtopic.php?t=10901
Basically you declare a regular expression with some variable token inside it, which is used to define groups. Typically you are matching a part of the filename (or some other text attribute), and this part becomes the definition of the group. Files that don't match the regexp pattern at all go in the UNSPECIFIED group.

* New tips: 93b, 93c, 49a, 35a, 8a, 48a, 160b, 11a (see x2tips.RTF in the installation folder).

* [P] new view mode Detailed thumbs (see VIEW > PANE STYLE submenu and/or Ribbon toolbar's VIEWS button) combines a small thumbnail with item details. The thumbnail size is the same as that of "mini thumbs" menu, which can be adjusted to taste using TOOLS > ADVANCED OPTIONS menu (Mini-thumb size factor to normal %). To change the size of the normal thumbnails, use TOOLS > OPTIONS menu and then find the thumbnail pixel setting in General property page.
(another way to get details for a regular thumbnail view mode is to turn on the Details pane from VIEW menu)

* TOOLS > OPTIONS menu, General property page has a new button CLEAR HISTORY, which removes all drop-down combo box histories appearing here and there (but NOT global settings like Bookmarks and User commands). If you are privacy conscious you can set the History items maintained setting to 2 so xplorer² will not remember much of what you type. For more information see http://zabkat.com/blog/browsing-history-privacy.htm

* [P] You can duplicate a user command with CUSTOMIZE > USER COMMANDS > ORGANIZE menu, using the new Duplicate toolbar button or the context menu. Thus you can create commands that differ a little in their arguments etc.

* For fresh installations, xplorer² asks if you want a ribbon toolbar or a traditional menu bar to begin with. This selection can be changed at any later time using VIEW > RIBBON menu command or the ribbon's FILE leftmost tab.

* you can "zoom" folder contents in and out using CTRL+mouseWheel. Each zoom level goes either to larger icons/thumbnails or smaller, all the way to detailed view mode. Equivalent to using VIEW > PANE STYLE menu but arguably more convenient.

* Command finder shows the command identifier number [xxx] for all you script enthusiasts

* xplorer² looks better in high resolution monitors with various touches on default icon and other sizes depending on your DPI

* [P] added file types category COMPRESSED that lists popular archive formats, to be used for filtering by name/type (will only appear for fresh installations).

* [P] search and robust copy logs include information about total time spent in operation

* In the unlikely *cough* situation where xplorer² crashes, it will restart automatically using windows restart manager. If it crashes a lot, it will prompt you to send the crash information email. Thank you for helping with the program's reliability.

* various small bugfixes (e.g. when you delete a network folder xplorer² won't jump to desktop)
ScottWall
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Re: beta 3409

Post by ScottWall »

Hmm, am I missing something? Doesn't [P} refer to a Professional feature and [ U] to an Ultimate feature?
Unless I'm blind or the Ultimate features were unmarked, only Professional features were added; sadly, only the Ultimate is offered for beta testing.
Some of these features sound excellent!
FrizzleFry
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by FrizzleFry »

generally ultimate supersedes professional so any pro features are available in ult
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

here is a small bugfix build 340.10 for people who manage files by the truckload (100K+ at a time !?)
www.zabkat.com/test/xplorer2_setup64_ult_beta.exe (64 bit ultimate only)
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

if anyone has a "modern" smartphone that connects to the PC can you try color tagging some files on the phone and tell me how it works? my trusty old sony is refusing to connect to my laptop any more so I cannot test

also if you have any kind of feedback for the new beta version don't hesitate to tell me about it ;)
longfellow
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by longfellow »

Hi Nikos, I tested the color tagging on a Samsung Galaxy A5 (running Marshmallow) and everything worked as it should, no problems.
neko
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by neko »

Im so stupid, but I do not get "color tag" work. I do not have such thing in context menu. :oops:

Edit. It also stupid write message and after that watch helping video. So, forget. I think.... *facepalm*
ScottWall
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by ScottWall »

Is there any way to edit the name as a configuration setting? I typically don't consider files to be: red, green or blue. I have an email program that does the same thing, i.e., nameless categories, and I find that I never remember what colour is supposed to represent what and I end up using random colours to highlight various items. Chaos quickly takes control.

Having only three colours also seems to be a major limitation; is there any way to add more colours?
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

the names and colors are editable through registry. Please see registry.txt for more details
ScottWall
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by ScottWall »

Okay, got it now, I guess reading your change description should have been a tip-off.
Tag colours don't appear in x2SettingsEditor.exe, which would be nice if it did. Beats using regedit. :D

Otherwise, it works nicely.