Site Admin

xplorer2 v3.5 final released

Post by nikos »

Tuxman
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Re: xplorer2 v3.5 final released

Post by Tuxman »

I didn't even know that there was a 6-month update cycle. I wish more developers would have a 6-feature update cycle instead.

... Now I wonder if I should get a 4K display. Thank you, nikos!

edit: And once more it failed to detect my previous installation folder and defaulted to a different one. Why is that so?
Tux. ; tuxproject.de
registered xplorer² pro user since Oct 2009, ultimated in Mar 2012
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

wrt previous installation folder issue, are you using some registry cleaner that would remove the key
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\xplorer2p64_u (or something similar depending on your edition)

another simpler explanation is that you UNinstall xplorer2 first then install the new version. This also simulates a "fresh install". In the future just reinstall without uninstalling the old version first
Tuxman
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Tuxman »

nikos wrote: 2017 Oct 02, 04:19 are you using some registry cleaner
No. :)
nikos wrote: 2017 Oct 02, 04:19 another simpler explanation is that you UNinstall xplorer2 first then install the new version.
I don't - but this "error" has been observed by me for a number of versions now. I thought that maybe something re: default folders was changed, but this does not seem to be the case.

I do have an old "_beta" installation folder though, maybe that confuses the installer. Hm. - I got rid of that now, maybe that fixes it already.
Tux. ; tuxproject.de
registered xplorer² pro user since Oct 2009, ultimated in Mar 2012
otlaolap
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by otlaolap »

How can I remove the "Color tag" item from the context menu that shows up now when right-clicking an item in the folder pane or tree? I do have "Don't add xplorer2 commands in shell context menu" checked in the advanced settings editor global settings page. I'd like the context menu back to its earlier state, where entries I use every day are placed in dominant positions.

Thanks to the xplorer2 design involving (in this case) 3900X messasge codes, I don't use the context menu for color tagging -- a very helpful addition to the program, by the way -- but do use it for those other things that used to be presented at the top.

All of this on my system (Win7 64-bit).
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

at present since color tagging is only available through the context menu, there's no way to disable the menu
otlaolap
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by otlaolap »

A great strength of xplorer2, and the one that sold it to me so long ago, is the fact that everything can be done throught the keyboard. Is this color tagging possibly the first place where this ability has been dropped? You have keyboard accessibility for all the other filters, I think; menu items exist to get to them. I'd suggest that the color tags should be no different in this regard -- it should as an element of design be possible to access them through menus.

Once again, though, thanks for the continued robust exposure of function through 3XXXX command messages. For me, color tagging is fully implemented through AutoHotkey keyboard shortcuts.

Further, I know I can trap the right-mouse-button click on xplorer2 panes and get lists of selected files, and I with some additional fiddling the standard explorer popup menu cam be shown against these files. That presumably will remove for me the added menu entry (which I thnk must be constructed by xplorer2 internally on-the-fly as I can find no context menu handler to disable). If this works then I'm content, but again as a principle of design I'd argue for the ability to remove the menu item by option.
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

it is possible to assign a keyboard shortcut to the FIRST color tag (command id 39001); for other colors you'd need AHK or something equivalent.
Kilmatead
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Kilmatead »

nikos wrote: 2017 Oct 04, 08:05for other colors you'd need AHK or something equivalent
No you don't, it's just 39000 + x where x is 1 for Kinky Chartreuse, 2 for Gross Green, 3 for Blue Bayou, etc. I found it easier to just recreate the context menu as a toolbar button instead. Sooner or later I'll add a real customising option, unless lazy Nikos beats me to it...
otlaolap wrote: I'd like the context menu back to its earlier state, where entries I use every day are placed in dominant positions.
Tell me about it - this is the part of the movie where I say to Nikos, "I told you so." There were many emails mentioning this before release, but did he listen to me? Noooooo... I says to him, so I says, hey, Luigi, just-a make it a part-a GAOPT_NOX2SHCMENU, eh? But he just mumbled "Luca Brasi sleeps with the fishes", so that was that - all he ever really wants to hear about is bugs. Entomologists are weird that way: they come up with a good idea and then feel the need to balance it out with a silly one, completely ignoring the obvious ergonomic discomfort of sticking pins in their victims' backs.
Last edited by Kilmatead on 2017 Oct 04, 11:48, edited 2 times in total.
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

ok I will make GAOPT_NOX2SHCMENU hide color coding too and then I will forward all "where is the color menu" support requests to Ireland ;)
Kilmatead
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Kilmatead »

I pull my own weight, Jo-jo, and I (almost) always carry through all my threats. :wink: If you had just put it under the Edit menu where it belongs this thread would be a lot shorter...

nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

don't waste too much time on this, I will add a hidden command that will pop this color menu
Kilmatead
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Kilmatead »

Yeah, I figured you'd do that much (it only took about 10 minutes to make this menu, so it's hardly quantum tech), but the more pressing question is will you add proper colour configuration nonsense to the advanced settings thingy like you should? I mean, who manually edits the registry any more besides meth-addicts and out of work ice-cream parlour personnel? Anyone? :wink:
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

that configuration editor isn't the easiest thing to work with, especially with color fields... I will see if it can be done with reasonable effort on my part...
otlaolap
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by otlaolap »

A small thing that keeps hitting me, as I use the color-tagged items, is that I expect a click anywhere inside a color tag to be effective on the tagged item. I use the "list" pane view normally. There is that lovely rectangle -- I click it expecting the item to be selected -- and nothing happens. I right-click it, and get not the context menu for the item but the context menu for the pane background. Yes, it is easy to see why this happens given standard list view operaions but visually it is not expected. A color-tagged label in list view ought to work (it's only my opinion of course) like full-row select in details view.