Post by nikos »

here's the comment area for today's blog post found at
http://zabkat.com/blog/epub-ifilter-windows-search.htm
dunno
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: blog: epub ebook text filter

Post by dunno »

Ok so I can view a epub in view in a most basic way, Can I edit the book, can I modify the book, can I save the book in any format I desire, can I modify the book's TOC, can I modify the cover, can I replace the cover, can I remove blank spaces between paragraphs, can I check the epub for correct line spacing, can I remove embedded fonts, can I, o....jeez.....
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

you can do all that and make a cup of tea too, but xplorer2 won't help :)
RightPaddock
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by RightPaddock »

dunno wrote: 2017 Oct 22, 13:16 Ok so I can view a epub in view in a most basic way, Can I edit the book, can I modify the book, can I save the book in any format I desire, can I modify the book's TOC, can I modify the cover, can I replace the cover, can I remove blank spaces between paragraphs, can I check the epub for correct line spacing, can I remove embedded fonts, can I, o....jeez.....
The only tool I know of that comes close to doing most of those things only offers metadata searches, it does not offer content searching, except via a couple of rather primitive and inefficient plugins.

@nikos - well done, I've been yearning for this for years.

The iFilter works well in W10 File Manager search, but what I don't get in W10 File Manager is the Preview. Is there a magic button I need to press, or another component I need to install - apart from an up-to-date version of X2 :roll:

You should give this tool an unashamed plug in 'ere ==>> MobileRead ePub forum :)

BTW - it's a walk in the park get this to interoperate this with the tool to which I allude above via it's optional Drop Search Results (DSR) plugin. Ctrl+A the results list, Ctrl+C to copy it, open the DSR landing site, Ctrl+V to paste it and create a Reading List.

RP
Last edited by RightPaddock on 2017 Nov 20, 09:58, edited 3 times in total.
Windows 10 Pro (64 bit) version 1809 - Xplorer2 version: Pro 2.5.0.4 [Unicode] x64 2014-06-21
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

I don't think windows explorer will use text filters for previews but did you see the other blog post about epub thumbnails?
RightPaddock
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by RightPaddock »

nikos wrote: 2017 Nov 20, 09:29 I don't think windows explorer will use text filters for previews but did you see the other blog post about epub thumbnails?
I saw the one about thumbnails but I assume that's about cover images, I rip them out of epubs - remember I'm an iconoclast. Where do the EPUB previews come from, i.e. what does the rendering - the IFilter or something else.

I may have found a reason to upgrade X2 - at last says nikos. Then I could get rid of X1 - says I.

I just added a BTW to previous post.

Cheers RP
Windows 10 Pro (64 bit) version 1809 - Xplorer2 version: Pro 2.5.0.4 [Unicode] x64 2014-06-21
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

xplorer2 uses the filter plugin for draft text previews. For the NATIVE preview tab you will see there's nothing displayed for EPUB, like windows explorer.
RightPaddock
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by RightPaddock »

nikos wrote: 2017 Nov 20, 10:16 xplorer2 uses the filter plugin for draft text previews. For the NATIVE preview tab you will see there's nothing displayed for EPUB, like windows explorer.
@nikos - might want to change your blog post then:
It delivers plain text previews and fast indexed search in EPUB documents, with xplorer², windows explorer and all shell compatible file managers
Maybe there's something else that will show ePub text in File Explorer Preview.

RP
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

for windows explorer you should only keep the "fast indexed search" part and drop the preview part, sorry for any inconvenience caused :)
RightPaddock
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by RightPaddock »

If I find something that will show an epub preview in Windows File Damager I'll let you know of it.

The blog post is headed "Plain text preview and keyword searches in EPUB documents"

I assumed it searched the dc elements (subject, author, publisher etc) in the opf file. But on reading the blog post I was pleased to find I was wrong - IMO it should read "... and content searching ...".

BR