Discussion & Support for xplorer² professional

Moderators: fgagnon, nikos, Site Mods

nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

version 4 spotted in the horizon!

Post by nikos »

Hi folks and happy new year :xmas:

I've had enough merriment this holiday season, so I begun work on the major version 4 upgrade, coming to you in a month or 2.
Here are the big items planned:

* macro support (a GUI scripting language a la deskrule)

* workspaces (something like layouts but saving all the details including paths, individual tab settings etc)

* programmable columns (similar to desktop detective but showing results as a number/string in detailed view mode)

* rearrange items in a pane with the mouse (XP-style)

With Kilmatead abducted by aliens, your feedback and suggestions are appreciated!
Tuxman
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Re: version 4 spotted in the horizon!

Post by Tuxman »

Will workspaces replace layouts? If not, why not?
Tux. ; tuxproject.de
registered xplorer² pro user since Oct 2009, ultimated in Mar 2012
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

I was thinking of keeping them in parallel for those people that have many layouts already (it will be hard to automatically translate layouts -> workspaces). But you are right that for new installations layouts won't be necessary
FrizzleFry
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by FrizzleFry »

Please keep layouts I use them a lot. I am curious about workspaces but the new feature mentioned that interests me the most is the macros.
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

did you try the macros available in editor2? Press F9 key in the latest version to see how it works. Something like this will be in x2 v4
johngalt
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by johngalt »

nikos wrote: 2018 Jan 04, 18:22 Hi folks and happy new year :xmas:

I've had enough merriment this holiday season, so I begun work on the major version 4 upgrade, coming to you in a month or 2.
Here are the big items planned:

* macro support (a GUI scripting language a la deskrule)

* workspaces (something like layouts but saving all the details including paths, individual tab settings etc)

* programmable columns (similar to desktop detective but showing results as a number/string in detailed view mode)

* rearrange items in a pane with the mouse (XP-style)

With Kilmatead abducted by aliens, your feedback and suggestions are appreciated!
Good news! Hoping for a ßeta to play with soon, too :p

kunkel321
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by kunkel321 »

Cool! Any do you foresee any new toolbar buttons?
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

there shouldn't be any new buttons, for macros I will reuse one of the available for scripts
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

debugger anyone?
https://www.facebook.com/zabkat/photos/ ... =3&theater
(i believe you don't need facebook to see the pic)
Tuxman
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Tuxman »

Perfectly visible without Facebook.

Lovely, so I can finally debug a debugger inside x64dbg? :biggrin:
Tux. ; tuxproject.de
registered xplorer² pro user since Oct 2009, ultimated in Mar 2012
pschroeter
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by pschroeter »

I just (yesterday) got a new computer with Windows 10. The re installation in re-importation of my settings went fine, but I notice Menuhack buttons I created don't work. I was wondering if the new "macro support" makes working on Menu hack unnecessary.

After spending several minutes reattaching all my custom icons back to their toolbar buttons, I really wish I could just right-click on a toolbar icon and change the icon from there instead of navigating to and through various "Organize …" dialogs.

I really hope some of the suggestions I've been sending you for years makes it into version 4.
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

the new macro feature will certainly kill off menuhack!
pschroeter
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by pschroeter »

Thank you, that's fantastic exciting news. Now I have to ask will we be able to assign buttons and keyboard shortcuts to commands, macros, whatever they are called?

I fixed my Menuhack problem. I found I hadn't copied over the Menuhack.exe when I backed up.

I would also mention that for some reason when I installed xplorer2 yesterday on my brand new computer it's not showing up in the installed programs list in the new Windows 10 Start Menu. I even went into the Programs folder and right-clicked on xplorer2_64.exe and chose "Pin to Start" and it still won't show up. I'm pretty sure it's also not show up in the "Most Used" section and I don't remember if it was in the "Recently Added" section earlier. It's like the program is invisible to the Windows 10 Start Menu. It's not a problem for me because that's not how I start the program anyway and it did create a desktop icon, but I wonder if it's happening to other people who then wonder if the program was installed.
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

for my win10 it does show in the start menu!?
what if you press START then type xplorer2, does it show?
pschroeter
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by pschroeter »

Yes it shows to the new search. It just seems to be invisible to the rest of the new W10 Start Menu and I can't pin it to the right side of the menu as one of those tiles. The installer did created a x2 desktop shortcut. It's not a (big) problem to me, but it does make me wonder if other people have this problem

I just discovered when I installed my email program Thunderbird, I was able to pin it to the right side as a tile, but it doesn't show up in any of the program lists to the left. Stuff like this makes me wonder about the new Start Menu and pushes me to consider using Start10. I used Start8 for five yeas and it made W8 bearable.

Update
Later I found out the content of the Start Menu are really just shortcuts and folders that can be found in:

C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs

I added a shortcut to x2 in this folder and now have one in the application list that I could pin to the right side. I don't remember if when I reinstalled x2 there was an option in the installer to create a shortcut in the Start Menu or not that I might have unchecked.
This is handy to know in general (deleting, adding, renaming) for all programs. I find it handy for dragging out those idiot programs that put their program's shortcut in a folder with other shortcuts, so when you scroll through the programs list to reach it, you have to first open a subfolder.