Discussion & Support for xplorer² professional

Moderators: fgagnon, nikos, Site Mods

nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

xplorer2 3508 beta available for testing

Post by nikos »

version 4.0 is coming and here is a glimpse of the way forward
www.zabkat.com/test/xplorer2_setup64_ult_beta.exe (ultimate 64 bit only)
I don't plan to add anything else, so please give it a good test and tell me what you think

the big additions are macros and a programmable column, which are explained in detail here (demo videos too)
www.zabkat.com/x2h_7a.htm

other smaller changes of note follow; for more information see HELP > WHAT'S NEW menu command
* GIOPT_PERTABLAYOUT registry option turns layouts (see WINDOW menu) into workbenches. You will notice the difference if you are using folder tabs: each tab will save its own settings (instead of the active tab forcing its settings to all other tabs as it was up to now). To see it create a new layout and play with it

* VIEW > ARRANGE BY > MANUALLY menu command allows you to place folder icons wherever you like, desktop-style.

* when searching for text in files, the previewer highlights the matched keyword underlined and bold (more pronounced)

* New icon mode "No icons" for the terse user types that don't need imagery, just the filenames. Accessible through program options (General property page). Thumbnails are allowed.

* [P] several commands that create scrap container windows put a window title that describes what happened, e.g. the search criteria summary. If you want something more specific use WINDOW > SET TITLE menu command for your custom text.

* Folders that are not seen (those in invisible tabs for instance) consume less resources. When you switch back to them they may need to refresh their contents. This also improves xplorer² startup times if you happen to have lots of tabs from the previous session.

* [P] robust copy and delete progress dialogs won't bombard you with filenames you don't have time to read anyway, only once per second. Probably this will speed up the operation slightly too!
Tuxman
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Re: xplorer2 3508 beta available for testing

Post by Tuxman »

The installer claimed that x² was already running, but it wasn't.

Otherwise, the update went painlessly and without any obvious data loss. Is there only one programmable column though? I mean, that looks like it could replace the notorious Kilmatead time plug-in to some extent some time in the future or something, if only there was more than one. - No real chance to test the macros today.

About the Robust Progress (what a brand...) dialogs: It makes no sense to display filenames if those are not necessarily the ones being processed right now. What's the value here? Just drop them. :)
Tux. ; tuxproject.de
registered xplorer² pro user since Oct 2009, ultimated in Mar 2012
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

I was thinking about adding more of these programmable columns, let's wait and see the feedback about them. There is always version 4.1! -- in the meantime you can save programmable definitions in that dialog to be reused later.
FrizzleFry
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by FrizzleFry »

I tried a really simple macro and it does not seem to work right

just as a test to replace menuhack I did a macro

COMMAND "copy names"

but this fails with an error 3

using

COMMAND 32786

does work
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

it works for me!? can you work with any of the sample macros?
https://www.zabkat.com/x2h_7a.htm#pr_as
(click the link at the top of the page to show the samples)

ps. v4 also will need new unlock keys. Don't worry about it for the time being, just use it in trial mode