xplorer2 v4.0 released

Discussion & Support for xplorer² professional

Moderators: fgagnon, nikos, Site Mods

nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: xplorer2 v4.0 released

Post by nikos »

ok, now I can see the problem, but the "solution" is, if you make any deletions and reorganizations to any list items that appear on toolbars, you must have all the layout varieties open simultaneously, so they get notified about the changes. I can't think of any solution otherwise, if a window is not there how do you tell it about some changes affecting it?

ps. actually I see that it is broken if 2 layouts are open too. I'll try to fix it
neko
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by neko »

Nikos. Thank you. I have used xplorer2 for over 10 years IIRC. This is first software I install to new machine.

I am pleased to development of the program, and I look forward to explore the new features at peace.
FrizzleFry
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by FrizzleFry »

nikos wrote: 2018 Feb 16, 11:49 ok, now I can see the problem, but the "solution" is, if you make any deletions and reorganizations to any list items that appear on toolbars, you must have all the layout varieties open simultaneously, so they get notified about the changes. I can't think of any solution otherwise, if a window is not there how do you tell it about some changes affecting it?

ps. actually I see that it is broken if 2 layouts are open too. I'll try to fix it
Yeah, I was testing with the three layouts opened and only the last one opened gets notified. I think having the layouts that will be affected open is a workable solution so it would be nice if you could fix it.
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

I think I've fixed it. You can create a macro that opens up all layouts before you do any radical changes, so they all stay in sync
when you are done it's probably quicker to do a full exit and restart rather than fumbling with macros to close open windows
astewart

Post by astewart »

nikos wrote: 2018 Feb 16, 05:26 the idea is that unless you run a macro, you are not sure it works properly, so there's no point saving it. If you watch the demo videos in the announcement page at the top of this discussion, you will get a better picture how it is designed to work
OK, I didn't watch the video before. But in the video, you ARE sure it worked properly before you saved it, and it's not apparent that another run is needed after the save for the save to actually work.

Alan
pschroeter
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by pschroeter »

I wish to repeat that you really need to set up a subforum just for macros where people can share what they've come up with and help each other with them. I have a feeling this might turn into a thriving subtopic.

I, for example, want to create a macro to toggle "calculate folder sizes automatically" I can't tell if the macros will toggle the checkbox automatically. I also can't tell how to reach a setting on a particular tab in a dialog box.

BTW, I'm thrilled that Dual bookmarks now open up a second pane on their own if necessary.
FrizzleFry
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by FrizzleFry »

pschroeter wrote: 2018 Feb 16, 20:51 I, for example, want to create a macro to toggle "calculate folder sizes automatically" I can't tell if the macros will toggle the checkbox automatically. I also can't tell how to reach a setting on a particular tab in a dialog box.
this checks the box but I have not figured out how to get the current setting to toggle it

Code: Select all

# enable calculate folder sizes automatically

command "options"
waitwnd
findclass SysTabControl32 # option dialog tabs (found using AutoIt Info)
#getcount $1 # get the number of tabs
#select $1 # select last tab
select 3 # nikos -> easier to select 3rd tab
findwnd "calculate" # focus checkbox
setcheck 1 # change this to -1 to toggle if/when nikos adds that
OK
Last edited by FrizzleFry on 2018 Feb 17, 17:34, edited 2 times in total.
FrizzleFry
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by FrizzleFry »

Did something change in the way layouts are started?

I used to start a layout from a layout toolbar button and the current folder would open in the new layout. Now I get the folder that was saved with the layout.

I guess this is part of the new workbenches feature and it seems we get either layouts or workbenches not both.

GIOPT_PERTABLAYOUT is disabled
GAO2_NOPERTABSETT was disabled but even enabling does not affect current behavior

I would be nice to get the old behavior back. For now I'll use user commands.
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

pschroeter wrote: I wish to repeat that you really need to set up a subforum just for macros where people can share what they've come up with and help each other with them. I have a feeling this might turn into a thriving subtopic.
just ask a new question (new thread) whenever you can't figure out something. But first of all you should read carefully the documentation about macros, that should help you understand how to find windows etc. It is not a simple matter without reading the basics.
as for flipping the state of the checkbox, at present there is just a way to set or clear it (0/1). I could add a value -1 that means "flip"
FrizzleFry wrote: Did something change in the way layouts are started?
if you want the old behavior back I will make it that GAO2_NOPERTABSETT means "do it as it was in earlier versions"
sanferno
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by sanferno »

Upgraded without problem. :wink:
FrizzleFry
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by FrizzleFry »

nikos wrote: 2018 Feb 17, 08:04 as for flipping the state of the checkbox, at present there is just a way to set or clear it (0/1). I could add a value -1 that means "flip"
FrizzleFry wrote: Did something change in the way layouts are started?
if you want the old behavior back I will make it that GAO2_NOPERTABSETT means "do it as it was in earlier versions"
That works. I guess I hoped we would have the same previous layout behavior plus the new workspaces available simultaneously the way we have bookmarks and dual bookmarks

I replaced the three layout buttons with user commands like the one below and I like that better so I will not disable per tab settings.

%X2DIR%xplorer2_64.exe /S:working "$P " "$I "

I am a little confused about the two settings:
GIOPT_PERTABLAYOUT makes existing layouts save per tab settings, but new layouts will save per tab settings whether it is set or not?
GAO2_NOPERTABSETT disables save per tab settings no matter the state of GIOPT_PERTABLAYOUT?

I vote yes on setcheck having an extra value to flip/toggle. But I also think that being able to read in the current value (getcheck?) could be useful.
Last edited by FrizzleFry on 2018 Feb 17, 17:49, edited 1 time in total.
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

GAO2_NOPERTABSETT applies only at the time the layout is created
GIOPT_PERTABLAYOUT if not blocked by the above global setting, is turned on for each new layout (at the time of creation), but you can change it afterwards (only via registry)
FrizzleFry
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by FrizzleFry »

So do the layouts that were created with previous versions (from settings) have per tab settings?

It seems no because GIOPT_PERTABLAYOUT (which is set for each layout) is not set for them but new layouts created would have GIOPT_PERTABLAYOUT set. However, cloning a layout and then saving it under another name did not set GIOPT_PERTABLAYOUT on that layout for me. I did manually change it in my ini file and I see it saving different pane styles per tab. But I am curious now about how you create a new layout with GIOPT_PERTABLAYOUT enabled.

GAO2_NOPERTABSETT is global and if set disables per tab settings for all layouts.
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

old layouts created before v4 aren't affected. Actually I fixed another bug here so please wait for build 4001 for further experimentation
pschroeter
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by pschroeter »

FrizzleFry wrote: 2018 Feb 17, 02:21
pschroeter wrote: 2018 Feb 16, 20:51 I, for example, want to create a macro to toggle "calculate folder sizes automatically" I can't tell if the macros will toggle the checkbox automatically. I also can't tell how to reach a setting on a particular tab in a dialog box.
this checks the box but I have not figured out how to get the current setting to toggle it

Code: Select all

# enable calculate folder sizes automatically

command "options"
waitwnd
findclass SysTabControl32 # option dialog tabs (found using AutoIt Info)
#getcount $1 # get the number of tabs
#select $1 # select last tab
select 3 # nikos -> easier to select 3rd tab
findwnd "calculate" # focus checkbox
setcheck 1 # change this to -1 to toggle if/when nikos adds that
OK
I'm sorry I didn't thank you two days ago. To tell the truth I would never have figured any of this out on my own no matter how much I read and the macro you came up with (thank you, thank you) still doesn't (can't) do exactly what I want. I'm either going to need a macro recorder or be humbly begging on this forum for help or for people to write them for me.