Cannot write to Android MicroSD card

Discussion & Support for xplorer² professional

Moderators: fgagnon, nikos, Site Mods

chalkywhite

Cannot write to Android MicroSD card

Post by chalkywhite »

If I open a pane in xplorer2 ultimate (3.5.0.2) for my Samsung S8+ MicroSD card I cannot create folders (the menu is greyed out) or drag and drop files (a little red no-entry sign appears) onto it - yet I am able to do both using Windows Explorer. Even after successfully writing (via Explorer) to the card xplorer2 still will not let me do either.

Is there a setting in xplorer2 which I need to change?

[Edit]
Ok - this seems to be GUI related, since I *can* use CTRL-V to write to the card even though the "New File" and "New Folder" menu items are greyed out, and drag and drop shows the "no entry" icon...
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Cannot write to Android MicroSD card

Post by nikos »

when xplorer2 menu commands are disabled you can try a right click to access the (special) folder background menu, and under EXPLORER submenu you may find commands to create folders. Most of these phones are different so it's hard to tell
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

I tried an android tablet and it worked ok. The only complication I found was that dropping stuff on the "root" of the MTP device placed the files in the SD card folder without warning!
chalkywhite

Post by chalkywhite »

This is becoming very irritating now...

I can copy files to the MicroSD card on my Samsung Galaxy 8+ and create files/folders on it without issues using Windows Explorer, but cannot do any of those functions using xplorer2 Ultimate (4.0.0.1). I don't have an Android tablet to try it on.

Can anyone else do any of the above on the same phone model using xplorer2?
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

are you connecting your phone as MTP or something else? in the past you said that ctrl+V worked
chalkywhite

Post by chalkywhite »

I'm guessing MTP as this seems to be the default setting and I have not changed it.

I can still use CTRL-V - but only for individual files, not folders. Since I cannot use xplorer2 to create folders I am therefore unable to use it to [for example] copy my music library from my PC to my phone's microSD card (without first removing the card - which is a PITA to do).

If I am the only person with the issue then I will have to live with it and use Windows Explorer instead, as it must be something unique to my setup. It's a real shame though, as xplorer2 stomps all over Windows Explorer in every other way...
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

at present it's just me and you reporting, and the score is even :)
I haven't heard of any other complaints on this front either

anyway, if ctrl+V works, why don't you try copying a whole folder then ctrl+V in the destination?
vserghi
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by vserghi »

I have to say that I have had big issues with copying files to a SD card on my old mobile phone. It would see the card, but it would report back problems in the copy process or it would just take far too doing anything. The end result is that I needed to restart the phone to get x2 to see the phone properly again.

Windows Explorer had no issues as far as I remember. I just put it down to my phone as it had Lineage installed, not the default manufacturer ROM.
Vas
otlaolap
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by otlaolap »

I too have been unable to use X2 for file work on my Samsung S4. X2 would often hang, copying files either way, but Windows' Explorer would not hang. X2 was more likely to fail when asked to copy more than one file at a time (to the best of my memory). Simply browsing folders usually worked. When X2 did copy a file (sometimes it would before a hang on another file), the computer might sit still for two or three minutes toward the end of the copy before the copy-complete status showed up (that little "copying" popup remained on screen with no bytes left to copy for a couple of minutes is what I think I remember here).

These observations were all made with the last version of X2 Version 3 (not had a need since installing X2 V4 to try copying between the cell phone and the desktop computer).
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

guys, if you don't report problems, they'll never get fixed!

so what's the situation nowadays with your latest phones and latest xplorer2?
FrizzleFry
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by FrizzleFry »

With the current x2 (4.0.0.1) I can copy files and folders to my phone's Micro SD card from x2 but it seems to use the Windows copy functions (the Windows progress dialog pops up instead of the x2 one even tho I start the copy with F5), also, the new file and new folder commands are greyed out on the context menu for SD card folders and pressing F7 or F8 does not create either files or folders.

I have noticed some weirdness with phones and x2 before so I have gotten in the habit of browsing the phone with WE and then dragging from an x2 window to WE. That usually works fine.
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

windows copy is normal, because these phones aren't filesystem drives and many commands won't work. But drag-drop should work. To create new folders probably the background menu EXPLORER > NEW > FOLDER could be used

ps to get more particular, I have tried 2 devices, one android 4.1.2 and one 5.0.1 and both worked as expected. Sorry I don't have access to anything newer
otlaolap
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by otlaolap »

This morning X2 hung after copying one-third of a random 100-MB folder. "Not responding" response to trying anything on an X2 window, either newly loaded or existing, when trying to move back above the directory showing all the drives. Also Windows Explorer (WE henceforth) was nonresponsive after X2 stopped. So I unplugged the phone, and things then became responsive. Closed all the winodws, plugged in the phone, and tried the copy with WE. It, too, hung about a third of the way in. (Newest X2; Win 7 Pro 64; Samsung S4 with Android 5.1.)

My guess is that this is all too complex to expect to work -- just look at the directory superstructure and file names of things on the phone when seen from windows (e.g "::{20D04FE0-3AEA-1069-A2D8-08002B30309D}\\\?\usb#vid_04e8&pid_6860#138cc6fd#{6ac27878-a6fa-4155-ba85-f98f491d4f33}\SID-{20001,,64017661952}\{00019239-0001-0002-0000-000000000000}") -- that is the name X2 shows for the folder I was trying to copy stuff into -- and likely is a problem somewhere in the windows or Android driver stack. I'm happy with X2 as it is, since for 100MB (or 48GB music) folders I can pop the SD card out ot the phone and mount it on the computer.
chalkywhite

Post by chalkywhite »

nikos wrote: 2018 Mar 16, 06:24 anyway, if ctrl+V works, why don't you try copying a whole folder then ctrl+V in the destination?
As I said earlier, CTRL-V only works for files - not folders - in xplorer2.

It's not the end of the world as I can always use WE to copy stuff to my phone - but it is a pity as I absolutely love xplorer2 and would prefer to use it as a complete WE replacement.
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

which android version do you have?