Little bug in Filter dialog (Alt-h)

Discussion & Support for xplorer² professional

Moderators: fgagnon, nikos, Site Mods

aml

Little bug in Filter dialog (Alt-h)

Post by aml »

The shortkeys for "Files" checkbox, and for filter" button, are identical (Alt-f), which makes this dialog unreliable.

Since "Folders" checkbox is toggled by "o" (=second character), and Alt-i is not used yet anyway, it would be coherent to toggle the "Files" checkbox by its second character, too, ie by Alt-i, Alt-f remaining unchanged for the "filter" button.
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Little bug in Filter dialog (Alt-h)

Post by nikos »

this dialog is complicated because the same inner dialog appears in find files and other dialogs. I suppose I could change the Filter shortcut but it is the default button so just pressing ENTER key activates it
aml

Re: Little bug in Filter dialog (Alt-h)

Post by aml »

I know that the Enter key activates the "Filter" button, but since I do all this by external scripting, I try to access buttons by their Alt-character shortkey, and it remains a bug, i.e. the problem with Alt-f for "Files" (!) is the tab order, i.e. only if you press Alt-f for "Files" early enough in your voyage thru this dialog, it toggles the "Files" on-off.

If you have problems with the other uses of this dialog, what about renaming the "Filter" button instead? Make it "OK" (which would be more "standard" anyway, and self-explanatory with the dialog title "Show items according to rule"), or then "OK (filter)" for it being more fool-proof.

In this case, "OK" should be "&OK", and "Folders" should become "Fo&lders" (instead of "F&olders"), and btw, "Cancel" can be triggered by Escape, but a specific shortkey would do no harm:

Then, you would need the Alt-l here ("Cance&l"), but the Folders toggle could easily become "Fol&ders" instead, the "D" standing for "directory" anyway, see the "D" as "folder" file attribute.

At the end of the day, Alt-d for "Folder"/Directory would not be so bad an idea, while freeing Alt-o for the "OK" button (coherence between various dialogs).