Site Admin

Re: volume ID instead of a drive letter in xplorer²

Post by nikos »

johngalt
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by johngalt »

Sorry to resurrect this old thread, but my question is along the same lines as what the OP asked.

I'm going to be imaging my machine and converting it to a hypervisor, running my Windows install inside there as a VM, and the drive letters will obviously change. I was hoping to open actual drives in X² using VolID so those drives are always opened, regardless of what drive letter they may be assigned. The drives I'm referring to are not going to be formatted, so *should*, theoretically, retain their current VolIDs.

X² has 0 issues with junctions I've created that use the VolID as part of the path, but if I try to open a location in a new tab and try to use VolID, it simply refuses to open.

I created a dir on my D drive, under /mnt (lol Linux NE1?) and mounted my physical drive to the directory using the VolID _ it worked. But when I tried to reference it in X² in hte path, it would not load unless I specified the path to the folder itself. Which is counter-intuitive to what I want to achieve.

nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

did you try "mounting" the drive onto a folder as explained in the above blog article?