new beta version 4004

Discussion & Support for xplorer² professional

Moderators: fgagnon, nikos, Site Mods

nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

new beta version 4004

Post by nikos »

I have almost finished work for v4.1 update and here's a beta version for the early birds to try and offer feedback!
Download beta: www.zabkat.com/test/xplorer2_setup64_ult_beta.exe (x64 ultimate only)

the main additions are a macro recorder to make working with macros much easier, and tab color tagging. The complete changelog is below

* Color tagging applied on tabs too. Right click on a tab to color-tag it. This implicitly tags the respective folder with the color you choose from the menu. It helps the tab stand out painting the color under the icon.

* [P] Do you find xplorer² macros a headache? The new macro recorder allows you to compose macro commands "programming-free". Pressing F12 key (or the Record Macro toolbar button) you can do simple operations (launch commands, manipulate dialogs etc). When you are done, click on FINISH (macro recording) button and you get the script written for you automatically.

To edit the previous macro without invoking the macro recorder press use CUSTOMIZE > MACROS > EDIT MACRO menu command or quit the macro recorder immediately.

* [P] macro instruction NOPOPUPS will cause any dialog windows that would appear during the macro execution to be invisible. If you are annoyed by windows flashing quickly as a result of macros, put this NOPOPUPS instruction first in all your macros. This silent mode is on by default when you repeat saved macros.

* [P] primitive macro subroutine support using JSR/RET instructions. Only one level of nesting is allowed and there is no stack, but you can have reusable code chunks for your complex macros. For example here's a trivial subroutine that shows a number a couple of times:

POP 2
STORE $1
JSR sub
INCR $1
JSR sub
EXIT
LABEL sub
MESSAGE $1
RET 0

* [P] You can automatically run a saved macro when xplorer² starts using the /B command line switch. For instance "/B:sample macro" will launch the saved "sample macro" (assuming the macro name exists under CUSTOMIZE > MACROS menu). This switch is useful for automating tasks using the task scheduler.

* [P] The additional rules box found in Find files and similar dialogs allows you to select more rules (e.g. using CTRL+click). If they are compatible (e.g. all text rules) you can change all rules simultaneously. For example you can have 2 rules, one for Author and one for Title, select both of them, then change them both to search for "AC/DC" or whatever.

* [Ult] new programmable column functions TOKEN (breaks up string and returns one part, similar to CHOPSTR macro instruction), and SYSTEM that calls an external console program. SYSTEM() can be used as a slow column handler with a little imagination. Here is an example programmable column that combines the 2 new functions:

IF(${Size},"", TOKEN(SYSTEM('dir "'+ ${path} + ${Name}+ '"'), \n,-2))

For each folder shown, it executes the DOS "dir" command, then returns the second from last line of output. Note the use of single 'ears' to frame the folder full path in double "quotes" — in case there are spaces involved in the folder name. As listview control columns cannot show more than 256 characters, the feature is somehow limited.

(to use the programmable column, right click on a pane's column header area).

* TOOLS > FOLDER STATISTICS window can be refreshed pressing CTRL+R or using its Actions menu. It isn't very quick but you do get the new contents in after you make any changes (deleting or rearranging folders).

* The DOS script dialog (TOOLS > COMMAND SCRIPT menu command) adds a new special token File Attribute, which inserts file attributes to be used as part of command scripts. So that you don't need to type the column names ${Modified} etc yourself!

* All progress logs, e.g. belonging to the robust copy and delete commands, are searchable pressing CTRL+F keys, in case you are looking something in particular. To highlight errors (if any), right click in the log text window and pick SHOW ERRORS from the context menu. Note you needn't lose much sleep over progress logs; in case there was a serious error xplorer² would have told you about it, so you don't have to peruse logs.

* If the background thread gets stuck somewhere for long and item icons/details won't show, xplorer² will offer you to clone a new window that will hopefully get unstuck.

* [P] registry setting nPreviewMaxSizeMB sets a limit (in MB) above which huge files won't be previewed in NATIVE preview mode (tab). By default this limit is set to 0 (= no constraint).

* [Ult] find files dialog checkbox USE SEARCH INDEX allows you to turn off index searches on demand. This is not recommended as your searches will be slower but some people have asked for it. If you want to permanently disable the index, use GAOPT_NODESKSEARCH registry tweak.

* [Ult] folder context menu XPLORER2 > ADD TO SEARCH INDEX can be used to reindex (refresh) a folder that is already in the index. You can use this command to repair the search index selectively. This command also works from the tree pane.

* CUSTOMIZE > FOLDER GROUPS > STARTUP menu command restores the folder tabs available when you last started xplorer². This command helps people that use network drives, who occasionally forget to connect some of them before xplorer² starts.
Ampa

Re: new beta version 4004

Post by Ampa »

If the macro recorder showed command names rather than numbers I would find it much easier to use/edit.

Is this possible?
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

not at present but the whole idea is that you don't have to worry about the "program" and just do what you want to do with the macro
pj
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by pj »

Can you please explain the function of this added feature in the beta?
* CUSTOMIZE > FOLDER GROUPS > STARTUP menu command restores the folder tabs available when you last started xplorer². This command helps people that use network drives, who occasionally forget to connect some of them before xplorer² starts.
Are you actually saving the folder information on program EXIT?

It appears to be working that way, and, if so, is EXACTLY WHAT I AND OTHERS HAVE BEEN ASKING FOR!

:party: :beer: :biggrin: :beer: :party:

---------------------------
PJ in (Gordon missed me by THAT much!) FL
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

:thumbup:
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

here's a small update that should work better with powershell
Download build 4005: www.zabkat.com/test/xplorer2_setup64_ult_beta.exe (x64 ultimate only)

for example this command in the addressbar will show the first line of text from the selected file

Code: Select all

$ powershell -command "& {Get-Content $n -Head 1}"
the equivalent version if you want it as part of the programmable column would be this

Code: Select all

SYSTEM("powershell -command ""& {Get-Content '" +${name}+ "' -Head 1}""")
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

here's a demo video that highlights the big additions in v4.1
https://youtu.be/WNSGXISG_4s
Tuxman
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Tuxman »

nikos wrote: 2018 Aug 22, 07:55 * [P] primitive macro subroutine support using JSR/RET instructions. Only one level of nesting is allowed and there is no stack, but you can have reusable code chunks for your complex macros. For example here's a trivial subroutine that shows a number a couple of times:

POP 2
STORE $1
JSR sub
INCR $1
JSR sub
EXIT
LABEL sub
MESSAGE $1
RET 0
So we'll have the ability to write our own kernel in xplorer² 5.0? :)
Tux. ; tuxproject.de
registered xplorer² pro user since Oct 2009, ultimated in Mar 2012
pschroeter
Silver Member
Silver Member

Attach Saved filters to toolbar buttons

Post by pschroeter »

Am I correct in my impression that I'll be able to use the macro recorder to attach commands that don't have command numbers to buttons? The specific example I'm thinking of is I've always wanted to attach some of my Saved filters (ex: Created past week) to toolbar buttons. The stuff Menuhack could never see, as well as your recent macro system before the recorder.

I probably could added asking for a more direct way to do this in you Suggest Box thread.
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

you could try and see what happens. Some commands take funny paths in xplorer2 so it could be tricky. But you can just use the main menu to activate any of the saved filters through the dialog, and that will definitely work
pschroeter
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by pschroeter »

nikos wrote: 2018 Sep 10, 04:05 you could try and see what happens. Some commands take funny paths in xplorer2 so it could be tricky. But you can just use the main menu to activate any of the saved filters through the dialog, and that will definitely work
I’ve been meaning to mention after the final release came out I was able to create the macro I wanted, but you have to be careful when you record it. As far as I can tell, the macro recorder doesn’t capture the entire state of any dialog it sees. To create a macro for my saved filter I had to activate the “Show items according to rule” dialog and then also select my saved “Created past 24 hours” filter. What may not be obvious to most people (and me) was you have to select the custom filter even if it’s already selected or the recorder won’t notice the change.
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

correct, the recorder only picks up changes