archive counts

Discussion & Support for xplorer² professional

Moderators: fgagnon, nikos, Site Mods

RightPaddock
Gold Member
Gold Member

archive counts

Post by RightPaddock »

Does the latest version of X2 populate the Contents column for 'file types' such as DOCX, ODT, CBZ, CBR etc, i.e. those that are in fact archives i.e. ZIP, RAR etc. If not, would it be possible to add such a feature?

Thanks
Windows 10 Pro (64 bit) version 1809 - Xplorer2 version: Pro 2.5.0.4 [Unicode] x64 2014-06-21
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: archive counts

Post by nikos »

no it doesn't, it would be quite an extra burden to an already CPU intensive feature
RightPaddock
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by RightPaddock »

@nikos, how about a registry option to control it. Similar to the one to only preview certain file types. Would only do the count if its in the list, personally I'd only count CBZs, wouldn't bother with DOCX, EPUBs etc.

Speaking of which, I finally got around to installing and testing your EPUB IFilter DLL, for searching it works a treat.

But I only see Preview in X2s Draft Preview, not in File Explorer's Preview panel. Any ideas on how to make it available in File Explorer. And I only get to see the beginning of the file in X2s Draft Preview, File explorer Preview Panel displays whole file for DOCX, it's not super fast, but it is formatted (pity there' no Draft option for it). if I upgrade to latest X2 PRO would I get to see the whole file in Preview? Currently on 2.5.0.4 :oops: :roll:

Thanks RP
Windows 10 Pro (64 bit) version 1809 - Xplorer2 version: Pro 2.5.0.4 [Unicode] x64 2014-06-21
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

you can see more of the file in draft preview if you increase the Text preview size value in Tools > Options, Window page (preview section)
RightPaddock
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by RightPaddock »

nikos wrote: 2018 Sep 05, 08:23 you can see more of the file in draft preview if you increase the Text preview size value in Tools > Options, Window page (preview section)
Thanks - should have RTFM.

What about the content counts for selected file types. There would have to be an equivalence table somewhere, e.g.

ZIP: CBZ, EPUB, DOCX, XLSX, ODT,
RAR: CBR
7Z: CB7

Then a list of file types for which the user wants to see content counts, e.g. CBZ, CBR, CB7

RP
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

I misunderstood your request, I thought you were talking about subfolder SIZE; folder contents (file count) are already shown for things like 7z etc if you install the 7zip shell extension, at least for the current xplorer2 version. Having said that I just discovered that MS yet again screwed up the default programs in windows 10 :mad:
RightPaddock
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by RightPaddock »

I can't get anything sensible from 7zip shell. Can't compress a folder or contents. Can't even open a 7z file with it from xplorer2 or File Manager context menu. Only does anything sensible if I start the GUI from a friggin shortcut. Never understood why everyone raved about it 10 years ago, still don't - IMO its crap. But at least it doesn't try associate itself with every file type known to human kind as it did when it first hit the fan..

A decade ago I saw a lot of 7z archives, hardly any see any now.

Bye bye 7zip - Never Mind
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

are you talking about 7zip the standalone program, or my 7zNSE archive extension? There is a problem for new installations with the NSE, which I have it on my list to sort out, because Microsoft are not likely to fix this windows bug anytime soon :(
EMathews3
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by EMathews3 »

Agree; 7z files are not working as a folder like they used to.
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

anybody with windows 10 who have problems associating 7z/rar or whatever with the 7zip NSE can you please download and try out the following configuration program, and let me know how it goes?
www.zabkat.com/test/config10.zip
thanks
THIS IS ONLY FOR WINDOWS 10 USERS

make sure you have downloaded and installed the 7zip NSE from here
http://zabkat.com/blog/compressed-folde ... ension.htm

most likely you won't be able to choose which archive types to associate with the NSE. Thanks microsoft and windows 10! :roll:

so instead, run this config tool, and choose 1-2 compressed archive extensions you like to browse as folders. Probably a reboot will be required to see the changes.

In general it is easier to reassign archive types that didn't have a prior association to an existing program.

To UNASSOCIATE an archive type from this folder namespace extension, the easier solution is to right click on a sample archive, use OPEN WITH from the menu, click CHOOSE ANOTHER APP, then choose the tool of your choice (e.g. 7zip standalone) and tick "Always use this app to open XXX files". This change will have an immediate effect
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

now this config is included in the "official" distribution of the NSE, you can install it from here (recommended for windows 10)
http://zabkat.com/blog/compressed-folde ... ension.htm
EMathews3
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by EMathews3 »

Great! Thank you for fixing that - now zip-etc archives once again behave practically like normal folders.