Question about using exfat

Discussion & Support for xplorer² professional

Moderators: fgagnon, nikos, Site Mods

lank

Question about using exfat

Post by lank »

I have a microSD slot on my new Windows 10 computer (for the life of me I can't understand why it has one). Although I don't actually need the extra space but I decided to play around with it and use for backing up misc files. One thing that happens regularly is I get a message when copying to exfat in xplorer2 "are you sure you want to copy this file without its properties". I'm using NTFS on the hard drive and answer Yes. Also, when deleting a file on the exfat microSD I get a confirmation dialog box which I don't with the NTFS.

I'm not sure that I need exfat formatting as I don't plan on using with MacOS nor with Linux so I'm thinking of reformatting to NTFS. I can't see a downside but thought I'd ask here since virtually all the dialogs happen within xplorer2.
EMathews3
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Re: Question about using exfat

Post by EMathews3 »

when deleting a file on the exfat microSD I get a confirmation dialog box which I don't with the NTFS
Yes this confirmation happens on network drives, non-local drives, exotic drives, USB sticks, etc ... betcha basically on places that don't have Recycle Bins.
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

Secondary streams (e.g. file comments) couldn't be transferred to target

this error means that you have a file with additional streams and the destination folder is FAT so the streams will be gone. Many times this warning can be ignored if your files were downloaded (they include a note about "being suspicious"). But if the files contain comments that YOU added, then the warning should be taken seriously!

if you don't want to see this warning, use TOOLS >ADVANCED OPTIONS menu command and from Global property page tick the option "Disable stream loss warning..."
FrizzleFry
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by FrizzleFry »

I think most devices (phones, tablets, MP3 players, etc) wont read an NTFS formatted SD card.
lank

Post by lank »

I realize formatting to NTFS would limit the use of the microsd to this windows machine but other than that are any reasons why I should or shouldn't re-format?
EMathews3
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by EMathews3 »

Really,
formatting to NTFS would limit the use of the microsd to
any system that can use NTFS. Such as other computers with Windows Vista and later, Linuxes, Macs with NTFS capability added on somehow ...