Find files can't find file

Discussion & Support for xplorer² professional

Moderators: fgagnon, nikos, Site Mods

Slim

Find files can't find file

Post by Slim »

If I search for Excel15.xlb in the folder it is stored in, Find finds it. If I go up one or more levels in the folder path, it does not find it. Find is set to Search subfolders, depth first. It doesn't matter if I use search index or not. I have checked global\Find Blacklist to make sure nothing there is causing this.
Slim

Re: Find files can't find file

Post by Slim »

Just needed to put an * in front of the xlb in the Named box.

Actually, this didn't fix the problem. When I searched my whole C drive, x2 didn't find the file. It only found it when I went up to the immediate parent folder.
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

xplorer2 always finds the file if it is there, but you must have the search options correct. The easier way is to click CLEAR button to empty all previous search data, then type in the name you are after or anything else. For more information see here
www.zabkat.com/blog/where-is-that-document.htm
Slim

Post by Slim »

The file I am searching for is Excel15.xlb, and it is in

C:\Users\username\AppData\Local\Packages\Microsoft.Office.Desktop_8wekyb3d8bbwe\LocalCache\Roaming\Microsoft\Excel.

If I run Find *.xlb when I am in

C:\Users\username\AppData\Local\Packages\Microsoft.Office.Desktop_8wekyb3d8bbwe\LocalCache\Roaming\Microsoft\,

it finds it. If I go up one level to

C:\Users\username\AppData\Local\Packages\Microsoft.Office.Desktop_8wekyb3d8bbwe\LocalCache\Roaming

and run Find, it doesn't find it.

I am using 4.1.0.1 ULT x64 18/10/17. I have nothing in the blacklist.
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

could this folder be marked as J (junction/link) or some other oddity and xplorer2 search policies won't enter it?
I don't have this type of folder, but from similar items it looks like these are UWP app stores
try enabling the "follow junctions" policy from TOOLS > ADVANCED OPTIONS menu and see what happens
Slim

Post by Slim »

That was it. I checked:

Treat folder junctions as normal folders for recursive commands.

I had a trial Office 365 that came with my computer that was automatically converted to my regular subscription, so it was not installed in the normal manner. That's where that weird foldername came from. There are a bunch of those. I think I will uninstall the trial package and start with a fresh download of Office 365.

Thanks!
Bill Martz