network shares/external drives tab problem

Discussion & Support for xplorer² professional

Moderators: fgagnon, nikos, Site Mods

gb007

network shares/external drives tab problem

Post by gb007 »

i want tab management in explorer and so i'm evaluating some windows explorers alternatives.
i'm currently in a 64 bit trial version of xplorer² (6 days left).

i got a problem with network shares : when xplorer² start and network address in a tab is not availbale, xplorer² is very slow to open (2 minutes just for 1 tab) and tab is replaced with desktop shortcut.

i tried to play with ping in advanced options but no value seem to be a solution to this problem.

1/ 1 second delay is enough to see that the tab won't load. why is this so long in xplorer² ?
2/ i'm stuck with 20+ desktop tabs when i'm switching from work to home : i have to manually close all of these tabs.

/N is a bad solution : xplorer² is not even trying to load the tab even if it's functionnal, and it leave you with a tab that you have to close.

when the tab can't open, why open a default tab ? maybe it should be better to not open it and discard it ?
this is not a solution to /1 but it's better tab management.

is it possible to just launch the program, display a blank page for "bad tabs" and preserving the address bar for the tab ?
doing this let me refresh the tab later.
maybe i'm not clear but this is what windows explorer is doing and it's perfect for me.

what i call "bad tabs" is in my case network shares but this is reproductible with external drives too.
when i'm at work, i'm working with network shares and when i'm at home, i'm working with external drives.
i'm loosing time deleting all these useless tabs and reopening them later.
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: network shares/external drives tab problem

Post by nikos »

when folders are no longer available there's not much to be done, and xplorer2 tries to do whatever is best among the bad options. If you don't like /N, you must wait a little

xplorer2 only tries to read the active tab, all the others are "dormant" on startup. So only the active folder is going to cause the delay. If you are certain it won't work, press ESC key to abort the read without further wait

later, if you reconnect all your drives, use CUSTOMIZE > FOLDER GROUPS > STARTUP menu command to reload all the tabs as originally saved
gb007

Post by gb007 »

nikos wrote: 2018 Dec 31, 08:19 xplorer2 only tries to read the active tab, all the others are "dormant" on startup. So only the active folder is going to cause the delay. If you are certain it won't work, press ESC key to abort the read without further wait
well, no.
xplorer tries to load them, not all it's random but it tries
nikos wrote: 2018 Dec 31, 08:19 If you are certain it won't work, press ESC key to abort the read without further wait
ESC has only worked the first time i make a test, can't reproduce a 2nd
you didn't respond to my question : when the tab can't open, why open a default tab ? maybe it should be better to not open it and discard it ?
this is what is doing explorer++
xplorer² just leave me with 20 desktop tabs, 20 useless tabs
why not display a blank page and preserve the address bar for the tab ?
so i can refresh it later, like ms explorer
(why F5 is not refresh is beyond me. why ? all programs i know use F5 to refresh)
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

you are running the latest version 4.1? It shouldn't load inactive tabs; of course if you switch to a tab not originally visible, it will try to load it at that moment

as for your request not to open unavailable tabs at all, I will consider it for future addition through a registry tweak; for the moment you can use WINDOW > CLOSE ALL TABS menu command to close them quickly. You can also write a macro to close only tabs that point to the desktop

if you want F5 to refresh you can use CUSTOMIZE > KEYBOARD menu command to change it. See here