Saving settings without disktop.ini litter

Discussion & Support for xplorer² professional

Moderators: fgagnon, nikos, Site Mods

Brig
Silver Member
Silver Member

Saving settings without disktop.ini litter

Post by Brig »

Every few years, after making some minor change to the appearance of my x2, I have to ask here how to make the new appearance the default without littering every folder with desktop.ini files.
  • What I've done: Changed the width of a column
  • My set up: Two horizontal panes with 10 tabs on top and 8 tabs on the bottom. All tabs show folders in Details view, and each folder tab has the same columns.
  • What I want: All folder tabs to have the same column widths--so, I set the widths in one folder and they're the same in every other folder. This is what I have now--I just want one column a little wider and I want it to stay that way every time I start x2.
Thanks. I will print out the answer and tape it to the wall this time.
FrizzleFry
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Re: Saving settings without disktop.ini litter

Post by FrizzleFry »

The best way is to close all but one tab in each pane, then set up the two tabs as you want them, then save settings now.

Now all new tabs should have the settings you saved.

This might have changed somewhat in the last few versions. I think now all tabs settings are saved but closing all but one tab should still do the trick.
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

you don't need to save custom folder settings for this kind of tweak. In fact you probably need to undo all the custom folder changes to get back to sanity (wherever you see desktop.ini use ACTIONS > FOLDER SETTINGS > CLEAR)

unless you have the latest version and have enabled "individual tab settings" advanced option, all you need to do is tweak the active tab to your liking, then quit/restart xplorer2 and all your tabs will look the same
Brig
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Brig »

This is insanity. Nikos, I have been trying what you suggested--many times, hoping for a different outcome--and it doesn't work: the one column I want widened doesn't stay put. And I have the latest version and "individual tab settings" is not active.

I tried FrizzleFry's idea and that doesn't work either. Does it matter that some of the columns are not standard items? Here's what I have:

Name [S]
Folder Size [X]
Folder Children [X]
File Children [X]
Modified [S]
End of Line char(s).Endian [X]
Owner

The one I want to widen is Kilmatead's Endian column. Should I get rid of all the esoteric columns (those marked with [X]) and rebuild the folder setup? And then add all the other tabs I need, as per FrizzleFry's method?
Brig
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Brig »

Something else: I can't even reset what I have. I got rid of all the tabs but one in each pane and saved the setting. x2 now opens up with just those two folders, one in each pane. But if get rid of all the columns except Name and Modified, and then save the settings and exit, x2 still comes back with the same set of columns. Why can't it remember a column size?!? :mad:
FrizzleFry
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by FrizzleFry »

Do you have desktop.ini files in any of those folders?
Brig
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Brig »

FrizzleFry wrote: 2019 Feb 07, 19:02 Do you have desktop.ini files in any of those folders?
No. And I don't want to have to rely on them.
FrizzleFry
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by FrizzleFry »

Brig wrote: 2019 Feb 07, 19:49
FrizzleFry wrote: 2019 Feb 07, 19:02 Do you have desktop.ini files in any of those folders?
No. And I don't want to have to rely on them.
OK. Just wanted to make sure it was not a desktop.ini overriding things.

I grabbed Kilmatead's Endian column TC plugin let me play with it some.

I would try without the endian column to check if you get your widths save correctly.

I added the endian plugin and used both the eoln and encoding columns and both saved their widths. Are you using version 1005 of that plugin?
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

perhaps you have ticked the option to automatically resize the name column? also see here for some common pitfalls
www.zabkat.com/blog/settings-headaches.htm
vserghi
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by vserghi »

I had as similar problem where my default layout wasn't being saved. Tried everything, even desktop ini files. The only thing that worked was uninstalling x2, and starting from afresh with the settings without importing my old ones. Export the new set for future use.

I suppose I had accumulated many years worth of tweaks and had normally just imported them again when I needed to. Somewhere in that lot was the problem.
Vas
Brig
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Brig »

Thanks folks. I was thinking I'd have to uninstall, reinstall, and rebuild my x2 from scratch. But all I want is one column to be a few pixels wider! I'm just going to live with what I've got, which is pretty close to perfection.

This all started because I didn't want to see ".Endian" tacked onto the end of the name of Kilmatead's "end of line character(s)" column. So I renamed the column and adjusted its width a wee bit. But ".Endian" seems hard coded, it doesn't go away. If anybody knows how to get rid of it, I'd really appreciate hearing how. Thanks!
FrizzleFry
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by FrizzleFry »

You can rename the plugin binary file to something else and the column name will be EOLN.X (whatever you renamed the wdx64 file to), but I don't see a way to remove the .name from the column header. It's probably part of the plugin api to append the name of the plugin file to the column name.
Brig
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Brig »

Ah. Thanks man. I've got my workaround: I renamed the column "End of Line......." I'm good. Thanks again.