Moderators: fgagnon, nikos, Site Mods

nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

blog: photo collection cleanup

Post by nikos »

here's the comment area for today's blog post found at
https://www.zabkat.com/blog/bad-photo-cleanup.htm

if you deal with lots of pictures and find this tool useful (or rubbish even :)), please let me know
richardk
Silver Member
Silver Member

Re: blog: photo collection cleanup

Post by richardk »

I would be happy with merely some way to find multiple copies of a photo (or any other kind of file) where one copy has been renamed while the others haven't. I can't believe it's 2018 and there still isn't a way to do this. The problem is that renaming files changes the date and size (which is a stunningly bad practice), which means that while there are zero people in the universe who would consider the files to be different except for the name, computers do.

For photos, I think it would work to compare based on Date Taken, because it includes time taken to the nearest second, but xplorer2 can't do that AFAIK, and anyway it wouldn't work for auto-fire which takes a few pictures per second. This doesn't work for files such as Word docs of course. They need a field for "Date You Actually Made A Change That Any Normal Person Would Consider A Real Change, Not Just Copied It Or Opened And Closed It" but there is no such thing - neither Created, Modified or Accessed do this.
v 2.5.0.4
Win 8.1
Xplorer2 user since at least 2005
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: blog: photo collection cleanup

Post by nikos »

you can use the duplicates checker function using CONTENT instead of name. Or even better, use a detection rule based on date taken and size to avoid the lengthy comparison by content. This was available in xplorer2 for a long time. You may need a later version to check duplicates by date taken, I can't remember when the feature was added
www.zabkat.com/blog/12Dec10-duplicates-finder.htm