Discussion & Support for xplorer² professional

Moderators: fgagnon, nikos, Site Mods

CrossX
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Pop up window behind the main window

Post by CrossX »

Using version 4.2.0.0 with Windows 7 64bit

When I try to delete into a directory some files that cannot be deleted (for example in %temp% folder), unlike the previous version I was using (3.0.0.0) in this new version 4.2.0.0 the pop up window that asks if I want to retry, ignore, cancel, doesn't appear in front of, but behind the main window.
So that you see the "rotating pointer" (I don't know what is its name :) ) but you don't understand that the program is waiting for your input.

Could you check it?
Is there some particular new setting (I don't think) that I am not aware of?
johngalt
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Pop up window behind the main window

Post by johngalt »

When you start to perform a robust delete operation (which is what I *think* you are doing), do you have the check box for Background operation checked, by chance?

Reason I ask is that I usually run Xplorer² on me 'secondary' display, and the prompts usually pop up on the primary, so I don't have that issue. However, I just tried to delete all the items in my Windows profile after moving the Xplorer² window to my main monitor, and they still popped up in front of the main window.....

nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

first of all are you using "robust delete" or you just see the normal windows delete window?
CrossX
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by CrossX »

No guys
I simply click on the "X" icon on xplorer2 toolbar (or click the "del" key on the keyboard) and the pop up window saying that it is impossible to delete some file that is in use appears behind and not in front of xplorer2 window.
johngalt
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by johngalt »

nikos wrote: 2019 Mar 26, 06:11 first of all are you using "robust delete" or you just see the normal windows delete window?
Err, good point.
CrossX wrote: 2019 Mar 26, 16:39 No guys
I simply click on the "X" icon on xplorer2 toolbar (or click the "del" key on the keyboard) and the pop up window saying that it is impossible to delete some file that is in use appears behind and not in front of xplorer2 window.
I just tried using that with a file in %TEMP% and it still shows in front of the X² window. The only way I can get it to fall behind the current window is if I click on the window after clicking on the X. Even double clicking on the X makes the window pop up in front, although it shows 2 instances of the error message.

astewart

Post by astewart »

He's not the only one seeing this.

Right now I have a folder in my %Temp% dir, PDFXShellExt, and one file in it, which are in use by xplorer² according to Unlocker. If I try to delete with the Delete toolbar button, I get the dialog File In Use popping up behind the main xplorer² window. Depending on the position of xplorer², the dialog may be completely hidden and the windows taskbar does not show a doubled icon for a second window. The main window is not active, but clicking in to it brings the dialog to front. Using Unlocker to clear it enables Delete as normal.

The same scenario happens with a temp NVIDIA Corporation dir in use by my browser.

The cursor is an arrow+hourglass Working in Background on the main window. I have been seeing this from a long time back. Can't tell you how long.

Alan
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

what happens when you do the same thing in windows explorer?
astewart

Post by astewart »

nikos wrote: 2019 Mar 27, 06:37 what happens when you do the same thing in windows explorer?
For me, same File in Use dialog, but in front as expected. The explorer window has a normal cursor, not Wait, and can be made active (selection changed, etc), but the File in Use dialog remains on top, inactive, while moving around the main window.

Win 7 x64 home premium

Alan
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

@astewart, is this "window behind" problem something that started with the latest version 4.2 or you had it before?
when you try to delete (e.g. a PDF) from xplorer2, doesn't the quick previewer hide the preview? Theoretically this should stop the file being "locked by xplorer2"
astewart

Post by astewart »

nikos wrote: 2019 Mar 29, 07:01 @astewart, is this "window behind" problem something that started with the latest version 4.2 or you had it before?
As I said, it's been happening for some time, but I don't know how far back it goes.
when you try to delete (e.g. a PDF) from xplorer2, doesn't the quick previewer hide the preview? Theoretically this should stop the file being "locked by xplorer2"
This isn't about deleting a .pdf file. It's a .tmp file in %Temp%\PDFXShellExt that's locked. The lock goes away eventually. It's not a problem. I only used it as an example of the dialog behind issue. The same dialog behind happens when I try to empty %Temp% if I have web browser temp files locked, which go away when I exit the browser.

I'm not really concerned about the dialog behind. Clicking on the main window brings it to front easily enough. It's just odd, so I thought I'd chime in.

Alan
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

I tried both windows 10 and 7 but the "file in use" window always comes up on top as expected :shrug: