v2.504 Command Line for TWO panes

Discussion & Support for xplorer² professional

Moderators: fgagnon, nikos, Site Mods

Gary M. Mugford
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

v2.504 Command Line for TWO panes

Post by Gary M. Mugford »

Not surprisingly, I'm finding that daily backups of the 'important' drives is gobbling space almost as quickly as I can empty it to accept new backups. Sooooo, I did a batch file to REMIND myself every Wednesday afternoon that I needed to do my 'laundry'. The thing is, I leave x2 running perpetually. All I want is for the batch file to surface the running instance (or on the every Blue Moon basis, START x2 ... which always goes to my regular dump box of files location), make two panes if there is only one, then load in two folders. Oddly enough, BOTH are backup folders. I can then sort into modified order and delete anything older than eight days. I THOUGHT this would work ...

Code: Select all

E:\apps\Utilities\xplorer2\xplorer2_64.exe /F:0 /T /2 U:\_Source_DriveSnapshots_Quincy Y:\_Source_DriveSnapshots_Quincy
Nope. All I get is the U drive. One pane. With U's backup folder. If I have two panes, I get two copies of U. Tried removing each parameter above and still got the same. Y's never coming up automatically. I thought it might be the underscores in the folder names. Nope. Now, it doesn't take but a second to flip the second pane (if I have it) to Y and then to the backup folder and do the same thing.

But it is irksome that I can't get my admittedly ancient copy of x2 to open the two panes as I desire.

Solutions Nikos et al? Thanks in advance, GM
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: v2.504 Command Line for TWO panes

Post by nikos »

you have the command line syntax correct. It should work. Make sure the 2 folders exist. Also make sure you are not running in singlewindow mode?

you can also try the latest version. I have a macro for automatic backup which I use weekly
viewtopic.php?f=22&t=11573#p72477
Gary M. Mugford
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Nikos,

I copied and pasted the command line from the batch file. So, it it's broke, it's not something wrong there. The two folders exist. I've tried it with both single pane and double pane layouts already running in the omnipresent x2.

And as you know, I've put off x2 v3/4 due to a hatred for the ribbon interface and my continuing use of Win 7. My happy time is ending in less than 15 months. But for the time being, I'm going to let this nit go. I'm Three key clicks away from the Y folder. Guess another 8G external drive is headed my way as an early birthday present ... only four months early.

Thanks for looking at it. Let's just chalk it up to antiquity.

GM
Gary M. Mugford
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Thanks for taking the time to post the detailed macro for your backup. In my case, I'm GENERATING backups aplenty. It's cleaning out older backups each time the backups run past 4T in size. Keeping the backups from Drive Snapshot down to 2-4T is laundering just the one type of backups. I also use SyncBack for file backing up and do disk imaging with AOMEI Backerupper and Clonezilla. A little overkill, but it was an issue with Drive Snapshot, the second in five years, that has prompted my paranoia. In addition to THOSE backups, I also have an Amazon Glacier account and AJC Active Backup gives me version backups of all of my programming code. All said and done, I think code from last week's work is probably in two computers here on my network (full generational), two external drives with four backup copies minimum in Drive Snapshot, and one each in the others, plus three different cloud spaces. What's that? 11 plus the current source folder? Seems about right.

By the way, the crash early this year required I go back to OCTOBER of last year to retrieve a pristine copy of the boot sector. Backups AND RETAINING THEM, is a GOOOOOOOD Idea!!

GM
johngalt
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by johngalt »

Gary M. Mugford wrote: 2019 Apr 24, 07:29 Nikos,

I copied and pasted the command line from the batch file. So, it it's broke, it's not something wrong there. The two folders exist. I've tried it with both single pane and double pane layouts already running in the omnipresent x2.

And as you know, I've put off x2 v3/4 due to a hatred for the ribbon interface and my continuing use of Win 7. My happy time is ending in less than 15 months. But for the time being, I'm going to let this nit go. I'm Three key clicks away from the Y folder. Guess another 8G external drive is headed my way as an early birthday present ... only four months early.

Thanks for looking at it. Let's just chalk it up to antiquity.

GM
FWIW, the Ribbon is not *mandatory* at all - you're asked if you want to enable it after installation, and you can change it at any time, even if you accidentally enable it, from settings.

I don't like the Ribbon myself as I make use of several things from the standard interface that I cannot readily find in the ribbon, and I'm running the latest version that Nikos has developed at any given moment.