Copying duplicate files

Discussion & Support for xplorer² professional

Moderators: fgagnon, nikos, Site Mods

FightingBob

Copying duplicate files

Post by FightingBob »

I have the current version of xplorer2 pro. I recently switched from a Win 7 machine to one with Win 10. On my old computer, when I used xplorer2 to move or copy files from one folder to another, if there were duplicates in the destination, xplorer2 gave me a message for each one, stating whether a dupe was newer than the other. In Win 10 that doesn't happen; I simply get a message that states that there is a duplicate and asks whether I want to continue with the move/copy process.

In my uninformed way, I tried to figure out if this is controlled by an xplorer2 setting or is simply the way things are with Win 10. I found instructions on check sums and other stuff I don't understand or care to learn, but didn't find anything (or didn't understand what I was reading) on the question of whether I could get xplorer2 to work the way it did on my old computer.

Is there a setting that addresses my issue? If so, how does it work?

Thanks.
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Copying duplicate files

Post by nikos »

windows 10 is short on details if you use copy/paste or drag/drop. If you want more information about what's being copied, use F5 key (robust copy) to copy files, and then you'll see details per file if there is a conflict. You can also turn on the option "overwrite if newer else skip" to copy only changed files, click here for more information
www.zabkat.com/blog/04Feb07.htm
FightingBob

Post by FightingBob »

Thanks large!
johngalt
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by johngalt »

I use Xplorer² as my default file manager. However, the file manager in Windows 10 is still a lot better than previous generations, though it is a bit of a learning curve.

With previous generations, you were offered the choice to replace the file or not if they were named the same when copying / moving from one location to another.

However, with the WinX FM, you now get the options to replace, skip, and a third option: compare info for both files. That last option is a godsend, because it shows you each file in each location, and makes the font boldfaced for the newer file.

Also, depending upon file type, particularly for images, it shows a thumbnail of the image file itself, too. This may not seem like a big deal - but when you have many files with the same name that you're attempting to copy / move, then using that third option allows you to quickly see which of the files are newer, and in the case of images (and possibly other file types) the thumbnail also shows you if the images are actually the same or not.

You can then select which files to keep, either from source or destination, or a combination. It also has a check box at the bottom to skip all files with the same date and size (usually indicating that the files are seemingly identical).

But X²'s robust copy / move is sooooooooooo much better that I still don't ever really fool with Window's Explorer, except in those brief times when I need to quickly copy something to a restricted location, as WinExp. in the past, handled elevated permissions better, granting it on the fly as you're copying / moving.

I think Nikos has made the elevation a lot better in recent version of X², though.