BSOD when moving large files between ext. drives

Discussion & Support for xplorer² professional

Moderators: fgagnon, nikos, Site Mods

7leagues

BSOD when moving large files between ext. drives

Post by 7leagues »

I have been getting blue screens when using the robust move method between 2 external drives.
My version of X2 is 2.5.0.4 on Windows 10 Pro. According to the Event Viewer, Windows BugCheck encounters a memory error.

I note the problem does not occur if I move one file at a time. It only seems to happen if I select several files and then hit the MoveTo button. The files are all videos of between 6 to 22 Gb each.

I have run a diagnostic check on my hardware and nothing was found to be defective. Could this be attributed to me using an old version of X2 or is it more likely a fault with Windows 10, please?
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: BSOD when moving large files between ext. drives

Post by nikos »

have you tried to use the latest version 4.2? Does it crash like your old v2.5? I can only help you if v4.2 crashes, and if you send me HELP > CRASH INFORMATION menu command results via email
7leagues

Post by 7leagues »

I haven't tried with v4.2 yet because I keep trying to purchase it with the lifetime upgrades extension but you want to charge me VAT when this is an EU company purchase.
pearliner

Post by pearliner »

or is it more likely a fault with Windows 10, ?

yes definitely or hardware.
RightPaddock
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by RightPaddock »

What happens if you move the files with File Explorer?

I regularly move several 2-5GB podcast files from an ancient (120GB) external USB drive to an internal HDD with File Explorer with no problems. I use File Explorer because that's what my downloader wants to talk to.

RP
Windows 10 Pro (64 bit) version 1809 - Xplorer2 version: Pro 2.5.0.4 [Unicode] x64 2014-06-21
7leagues

Post by 7leagues »

nikos wrote: 2019 Jul 28, 00:25 have you tried to use the latest version 4.2? Does it crash like your old v2.5? I can only help you if v4.2 crashes, and if you send me HELP > CRASH INFORMATION menu command results via email
Since upgrading to v4.2 I have not had a single BSOD. It could still happen because it happened intermittently with v2.5 but I've been using v4.2 for more than 2 weeks now so I would say things are looking good.

@RightPaddock,
AFAIK, File Explorer doesn't feature robust transfer besides which, the problem only happened when transferring between 2 external drives, never between and external and internal drive.