xplorer² and network drives

Discussion & Support for xplorer² professional

Moderators: fgagnon, nikos, Site Mods

eivind

Post by eivind »

nikos wrote: PS i hope you haven't got GIOPT_DOSHAREABLE on? (see alpha.txt)
binMiscOptions in HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\ZabaraKatranemia Plc\xplorer2 is set to 0. Is this the right place to look, or should I have a separate key "GIOPT_DOSHAREABLE"?
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

if it is zero, it's off
Ahh, that's not all correct. xplorer² shows the contents of the folders immediately, but the drive letter doesn't change. This takes about 15 - 20 sec.
i have just noticed this very important piece of information you gave me. By "drive letter" you mean the addressbar/titlebar changing to reflect the new folder, yes?
eivind

Post by eivind »

nikos wrote: i have just noticed this very important piece of information you gave me. By "drive letter" you mean the addressbar/titlebar changing to reflect the new folder, yes?
I mean this.

But I want to emphasise that the problem is not the driveletter itself, but that I cannot move the caret before this driveletter changes.
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

From what I understand, x2 reads and shows files "quickly" for these network drives, but something goes wrong after that, and doesn't allow you to start working with the contents.

I'd like to figure out where it gets stuck. For that we'll have to see what messages are printed out "immediately" and what message is printed (in the debug channel -- DBMON) after the long wait is over. So:

* do you see the message "Enumerated xx objects in the folder, code=xx" before or after the wait?
* does the statusbar message change from "Reading folder comments" before or after the wait?

thanks
eivind

Post by eivind »

nikos wrote: I'd like to figure out where it gets stuck. For that we'll have to see what messages are printed out "immediately" and what message is printed (in the debug channel -- DBMON) after the long wait is over. So:

* do you see the message "Enumerated xx objects in the folder, code=xx" before or after the wait?
Before. The DBMON log says (I guess this is where I start the connection to the mapped drive (Z:)):

844: Filesystem path = Z:\
844: Shell attributes: (0x70800000) FILESYSANCESTOR | FILESYSTEM | STORAGEANCESTOR |
844: DESCRIPTIONID: 9(COMPUTER_NETDRIVE) : {00000000-0000-0000-0000-000000000000}
844: Assigned folder type: FITYPE_FILESYSTEM [deciphered]
844: Folder CLSID: {F3364BA0-65B9-11CE-A9BA-00AA004AE837}
844: Enumerating in bg thread c04...
844: Enumerated 5 objects in the folder, code=1
844: SPY(000001a6): Installed on '::{20D04FE0-3AEA-1069-A2D8-08002B30309D}\Z:\'
844: BG reader c04 finished

(here is the delay)

844: Delay-creating column handler...IShellFolder2; Columns = 35 (cached)
nikos wrote:* does the statusbar message change from "Reading folder comments" before or after the wait?
Before. The status bar says "Reading folder comments" for as long as it takes to list the contents of the network drive, and then says "Ready".
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

this has just killed a working hypothesis i had!

you said that you can see all the 5 items before the long delay starts, right? Do you see them with "good" or "plain" icons? Which column do you use for sorting?
fgagnon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by fgagnon »

Nikos,

This looks like the same problem I have had reading files on our WAN.
{I gave up using x2, except to spawn m$ explorer with a r-click :( }
It's been a number of x2 version updates [now at .54], so I looked at the prob again.
It's still there. (W2k SP4)
Even with autorefresh OFF, name column only & no sort, x2 takes 5x longer than explorer (a minute, vs. 10 sec for a test case). Adding arrange/sort by 'last modified' & a couple of columns slows things down more.

Maybe with eivind's careful reporting, you can identify what's going on.
eivind

Post by eivind »

nikos wrote:this has just killed a working hypothesis i had!
Sorry... :)
nikos wrote:you said that you can see all the 5 items before the long delay starts, right? Do you see them with "good" or "plain" icons? Which column do you use for sorting?
The 5 items mentioned, are all folders. Their icons are as they should be.

But the other mapped drive also has files, and these icons are not "correct" until after the delay. Was that what you asked for?

Column used for sorting: Name. Detail view.
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

ok, next idea!

does the addressbar (the edit field in the toolbar) change its text before you have to start the long wait?
eivind

Post by eivind »

nikos wrote: does the addressbar (the edit field in the toolbar) change its text before you have to start the long wait?
After. It changes at the same time as the drive letter and the "title bar" (the one saying xplorer² - Local Disk (C:) # [Local Disk (D:)])
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

:?
ok, let's do it another way
please send me your email so i can send you a special build that prints messages for each step it takes

then i'll know exactly where the delay occurs

thanks again
eivind

Post by eivind »

Nikos,

did you receive my e-mail?
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

i haven't checked my email for days, but should do so later on today
this fix missed .55 but we should work for it for .56!
poppyq

Post by poppyq »

I am using .59 and am experiencing this problem. With 2xExplorer when I changed to a network drive (yes there are a lot of folders in the root) it would take awhile which is normal, but using xplorer2 it takes a LONG time to display the same drive contents.

Here's a time example:

2xExplorer, hit Ctrl-1 bookmark, folder contents displayed in ~2 seconds
xplorer2, hit ctrl-1 bookmark (same folder), cursor changes to hourglass, folder contents displayed in ~13 seconds

I'm using this at work and I constantly go into subfolders on the mapped drive and then have to go back to root to go into other folders (880 objects listed in root) and this delay is making that a process I have to sit and wait for each time. This is definitely a bug of some sort as 2xExplorer works just fine. Please look into this further, I can help debug if needed. I have both programs on my system right now so I can test with either one.
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

there is just about one different cause per each person experiencing this kind of delays! The good news is that most delays (but not all) evaporate when using the release version. Let's hope yours is going to be in this category