Gold Member
Gold Member

Support NeighboringFilesQuery on Windows 10

Post by wasker »

Here's a problem that I have since Windows 10 was released:

1. Associate pictures with built-in Photos app
2. Go to a folder with multiple pictures present
3. Double-click the picture in x2

Observe that even though the picture opens, it's not possible to use left-right keyboard buttons in the Photos app to view other pictures in the folder. Same sequence of actions in Explorer results in Photos app being able to browse to other pictures.

My investigations brought me to the NeighboringFilesQuery option for the launcher API, which I think must translate into some option for ShellExecuteEx (or whatever x2 uses to open files).

I wonder if it's possible to add support for this feature, so the standard file open scenarios are not broken?
I'm using Xplorer2 - the only file manager that does not suck. Actually, it rocks!
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Support NeighboringFilesQuery on Windows 10

Post by nikos »

this bug is extremely silly of Microsoft to require special launching properties for a particular program. It is a pointless exception to the general rule

anyway the workaround is to select ALL pictures with ctrl+A, then press ENTER key and then the photos app will let you use the arrows
wasker
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by wasker »

While I'm also disappointed that compat with ShellExecute is broken for Win32, this is a feature that accommodates UWP security model, not just a bug in Photos; other UWP apps are affected too. That'd be great if x2 supported this on Windows 10.

Thanks for the workaround though.
I'm using Xplorer2 - the only file manager that does not suck. Actually, it rocks!
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

i did a google search but couldn't find anything linking this UWP launcher option to shellexecute :shrug: