Slow list of jpg

Discussion & Support for xplorer² professional

Moderators: fgagnon, nikos, Site Mods

jlrjlr

Slow list of jpg

Post by jlrjlr »

Hello

I have been using X2 for quite some time to manage my photo collection. I was always pleased with x2 speed and capabilities for sorting, filtering, renaming.. powerfull and easy to use.

But today I run into the following case.

A directory with 1035 jgp (2Mo each)
-On a NAS is open in X2 (display list) in a few seconds
-On my local D drive opens in 22 minutes and 25 pressing of Arrow key !
I notice that on the NAS the little icon next to file name is a white sheet but on the D drive it is the actual file image.
It is not the first time I play with that number of JPG in a directory but usually the D drive is faster than the NAS. I do not remember when the "image icon" in the list view appears but i think it is new (a year).

I am running Windows 7 with SageThumb latest X2 version 4.4.0.0 16/03/2020

Tanks for your answer, a magic setting to disable the "image icon" !
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Slow list of jpg

Post by nikos »

are you saying that your view is in thumbnails mode? Just change it to anything else, e.g. details or list, using VIEW > PANE STYLE menu command

even when it is in thumbnails though, opening is fast, then the thumbnails are extracted lazily. You can start working with your folder immediately. If it appears stuck, perhaps you have some expensive sort mode in effect? Please see here for a few ideas

www.zabkat.com/blog/why-is-xplorer2-slow.htm
jlrjlr

Post by jlrjlr »

Thanks for fast answer.

I am not talking of thumbnail view but simple list view just the file name with, on its left, a small icon of the associated program. In the case of the JPG on the NAS the icon is a "white page with a corner" but on the D drive the icon is a very small thumbnail.

I do not have any sort mode active. The NAS then The D drive are open in the same tab.
Some times I use a custom detail view with "slow data" such as exif date, display takes time as expected.
But when I revert to standard detail view or even simple list display takes same long time just as if the "slow data" are still queried. I am using X2 in dual pane with a few tabs in each pane. The only way I found to clear this ghost is to close all tabs and close X2 and some time repeat . Where this "use extra column" info stored ? Is there a way to clear it for sure.
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

try to show us a picture how your D drive looks like in xplorer2, including the sort mode. Or do you have that set to "unsorted"?
jlrjlr

Post by jlrjlr »

Sure I can add screen shot , I see that I can insert in the post a link to the image. Can you recomend me a place where I can put the image to be linked ?
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

try imgur or something like it
jlrjlr

Post by jlrjlr »

Hello
Thanks for your proposal, in the mean time I found this other way. The preview is ok.

There is not any fancy sort just sort by name

1 open directory on the Nas a few seconds, smooth scrolling

2 Open directory on local drive D: first display after 25sec

3 D: Any srcolling action first around 2 minute each action
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

you have something installed that shows mini-thumbnails for JPG files (?), this is not normal behavior
at any rate, xplorer2 should be able to show whatever icons in the background. Can you click inside the folder pane and scroll etc, while the mini thumbnails are being created?
jlrjlr

Post by jlrjlr »

you have something installed that shows mini-thumbnails for JPG files (?)
Not that I know. I have SageThumb installed for a very long time and I do not remenber having such 'mini thumb".
Where should I look to check for such installed program?
With "Windows File explorer" those "mini thumb" show on both D Drive and Nas.

Can you click inside the folder pane and scroll etc, while the mini thumbnails are being created?
No. When I am waiting for the refresh I cannot do anything in X2. I can only close by cliking [X] and the nasty message "X2 is not responding..." shows up. "Not responding" is also visible in the title bar.
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

check TOOLS > ADVANCED OPTIONS menu command in xplorer2, Layout settings property page, search for background priority section, is it set to NORMAL?
jlrjlr

Post by jlrjlr »

It was set to "Turn Off"
I set it to "Normal"
and everything looks ok.
I see the "mini thumb" refreshing one by one. During this time I can do all scrolling and cliking.. that I need :beer:

But once last "mini thumb" is refreshed (about 25 min) a simple scrolling blocs X2 (not responding) for around 30Sec :(

Searching to disable the "mini thumb", I found In Windows file explorer in Tool/Folder option/Display the following entry in advance seting : "Always display Icon, never thumbnail"
But no luck, nothing changed
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

I don't know what creates these little icons, sorry. It's definitely not the thumbnail view mode (or minithumbs).