taskbar icon jumplist (windows 10)

Discussion & Support for xplorer² professional

Moderators: fgagnon, nikos, Site Mods

davek

Re: taskbar icon jumplist (windows 10)

Post by davek »

It's oddish; :roll:

Everything I tried to unfreeze the W10 taskbar jumplist failed ... I just gave up on it.

A week or so ago we had a period of unwarned electricity 'outs' in the area. One evening the electricity didn't cut - it just went 'low power' (by which I assume the voltage dropped). It caused intermittent shutdowns and restarts. I was trying to get a full restart so I could do a full shutdown, but before I could do that I got an error warning that W10 couldn't restart because of a corrupted boot file and it offered me a 'repair and reboot'. I took it, and when my PC started up I shut it down immediately.

A week or so later I opened the taskbar icon to start up a second version of X2 and noticed that the list seemed to have sorted itself!

I'm keeping an eye on it to see if it's working properly now.

Would it be possible to add to the options list something to stop W10 filling up the task list ... or even better not showing it. Or is it totally under the control of W10?

:)
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

the frequent folder list only shows up when you right click on the taskbar icon, so you are in control, if you don't want to see it, don't right click on it :)
davek

Post by davek »

Hi Nikos

This is my last post in this thread - I promise :) . Just because I'm interested I had a final attempt at finding out whether I could clear/edit the jumplist. I finally found that there's a very obvious toggle in Windows settings to globally stop the all the taskbar jumplists being populated. I had set it to prevent population ages ago; when I looked at all of the other programs I have pinned to the task bar, none had jumplists apart from xplorer2!

So it's obviously just one of life's Microsoft mysteries ... not really a problem, just intriguing. And given the number of things xplorer2 can do and the freedom we have to personalise it I'm more than happy to just ignore the jumplist from now on!

Thanks for creating and continually developing such a great programme - I'd be absolutely lost without it :beer: :D
Robert2
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Robert2 »

Windows 10 Home 64-bit
If I use Windows Explorer to delete the following file, all the folder items included in the xplorer² taskbar jumplist are removed from the list of available destinations:
C:\Users\<USER’S NAME>\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Recent\CustomDestinations\59578bc72145c9a9.customDestinations-ms
The list is automatically repopulated with new destinations as I use xplorer² again.
Note that you might also need to clear the history of items maintained for drop-down lists in xplorer² options.
HTH
Robert
davek

Post by davek »

@Robert2
Thanks for the suggestion ... I got quite excited, but when I drilled down all I can find in the Windows folder is a folder called Recent Items that has an odd icon (an analogue clockface, part covered by a document, part covered by a 'picture'!)

- The folder appears to be empty but the size is shown as 935.2kB. I've got Show Hidden files and folders ticked.

I guess I'm just fated to be haunted by a ghost jumplist :lol:
Robert2
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Robert2 »

You might need to have Administrative powers over your system, and the “Hidden items” option should be checked in the “View” tab on the Windows File Explorer ribbon. Have a look at How to Show Hidden Files and Folders in Windows 7, 8, or 10