Post by nikos »

here's the comment area for today's blog post found at
https://www.zabkat.com/blog/appdata-settings.htm
FrizzleFry
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Re: blog: settings in APPDATA folder

Post by FrizzleFry »

You have mentioned several times that saving settings in registry is faster than using an ini file. I have been using an ini in the program folder pretty much since I started using the ultimate version but I decided to switch to saving settings in the registry to see if I notice any improvement.

Apparently the code that deals with switching from ini file to registry is not alternate layout aware. I started by switching the default layout assuming x2 would transfer all the settings in the ini file to the registry but that is not the case. I use five or six layouts pretty regularly and have eleven total. I am trying to change the setting in each layout by renaming the ini file (removing the bak extension) to see if that gets all the settings transferred to the registry.

So renaming the ini by removing the bak extension before switching each layout did transfer all the settings to the registry. After switching each layout I completely exited x2 then renamed the ini then started the next layout. It was an annoying process but I guess necessary since each layout has the setting to save to registry or ini. Could one actually run x2 with some layouts saving to the registry and some saving to ini file?
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

the speed increase won't be astronomical, but when closing xplorer2 you may wait 1-2 seconds more if using INI files

as for changing from INI->REG all settings from all layouts, it is a bit of a problem. I think that if you have all the layouts open simultaneously, then switch saving settings to registry, all should be well (?)
FrizzleFry
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by FrizzleFry »

I did not think about that. I'll try that if I decide to switch back but I doubt I will... my desire for portability for the layouts on my main PC is not as strong anymore.
FrizzleFry
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by FrizzleFry »

It seems the scrap pane settings do not get copied to registry when switching from ini file. They need to be open as well.
Last edited by FrizzleFry on 2020 May 21, 18:15, edited 1 time in total.
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

a job for a new macro perhaps? :)
FrizzleFry
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by FrizzleFry »

That does seem like something a macro could do but it is not a process I would need to do often. I am more interested/concerned about what other pieces would need to be open for their settings to get copied from ini to registry. I don't use the tree or the preview pane much... do they have any settings associated with them? What other pieces have their own separate settings?
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

only the main window and the scrap window
Tuxman
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Tuxman »

for both professional and ultimate editions alike