Color tag behaviour and permanency

Discussion & Support for xplorer² professional

Moderators: fgagnon, nikos, Site Mods

Yggrdrasil

Color tag behaviour and permanency

Post by Yggrdrasil »

I have looked through the forums entries and reviewed all the instructions related to colour tags, but have not found a definitive answer to my problem.

The documentation states that colour tags are permanent, which implies to me that I can rename, move or otherwise manipulate a file and the tag should remain. I find that this does not happen in two circumstances: a) the tags do not take immediately, that is if I do any manipulation of the file, such as correct the name, the colour tag is lost though the tag remains if I close and re-open the pane or open another directory in the pane, or after some indeterminate length of time; b) moving a file to another directory on the same partition or a different one, the tag is lost permanently. If I do nothing with a file other than opening, closing, etc. the tags stay in place.

I have noted some references to similar problems in other forum posts, but they are usually asides and not addressed.

Other customisation, such as colour coding which I use to distinguish different types of links, work perfectly.

I assume that either I have overlooked a setting for implementing the tags (though I seem to have done it properly) or there is some aspect of my system set-up that is causing this behaviour. Does anyone have any suggestions?

xplorer2 Pro 4.4.0.1 x64
Windows 10 Pro ver. 1903
many shell extensions that I don't want to mess with now that things are the way I want :bigsmile:

Thanks for any help.
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Color tag behaviour and permanency

Post by nikos »

color tags are fixed on a file path. If anything changes, then the tag is lost. The only exception is renaming ONE file in place, in this case the tag remains on the new filename.

maintaining color tags during other file operations like moving, is left for a future improvement :)
Yggrdrasil

Post by Yggrdrasil »

Thank-you, Nikos. At least I now know that I can read instructions properly, and this saves me going through a hit and miss process of looking for conflicts with other extensions.

I look forward to the future improvement as the temporary colour tagging makes file sorting much easier. For now, I can work within the limitation.

Xplorer2 is a great piece of software, probably the best I have used over some 30 years, because it let's me work the way I want -- thanks for your hard work.
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

cheers, please spread the word :beer: