nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

new beta version 4407

Post by nikos »

it's testing time! Here's the x64 ultimate beta version
www.zabkat.com/test/xplorer2_setup64_ult_beta.exe
if you have any problems, feedback or suggestions please let me know

if your smartscreen filter tells you that "this program is not frequently downloaded" please see here

Here are the features added this time
* Optional UP-DIRECTORY (..) item by enabling GAO2_UPDIRITEM (=16384) advanced option. The famous NC <UP-DIR> item will be added for all filesystem folders allowing you to go up one level. It will also act as a drop target if you want to move anything up one level. In most folder sorting modes, this pseudo-item is placed first for easy access.

* [P] mass renaming change case of filenames to UPPER or lower, using the MODE drop-down box. In this mode you cannot make any changes to the name other than its case. For more advanced case changing options you can use regular expressions in "search and multi-replace" mode e.g.
MATCH: (.+?)([A-Z])
TARGET: $1_$2
RENAME: camelCaseToSnakeCase.txt => camel_Case_To_Snake_Case.txt
(finds capitalized letters and inserts _ underscores)

NOTE: when changing the case of filenames, you may need to press <CTRL+R> keys to refresh the folder and see the changes

* xplorer² communicates simple messages using the leftmost status bar pane. If the message is too long to be seen in its entirety, the panel will scroll the message FYI. You can also use HELP > LAST ERROR menu command to see the last error message, if you missed the statusbar text.

* [U xplorer² 64-bit version will automatically use 32 bit text extraction filters, in case you have only 32 bit versions of them installed, so you can search in more advanced document types bypassing 32/64 bit hell! To turn off the new feature use advanced registry option GAO2_NOFBROKER32 (=4096)

* [P] TOOLS > CHECK DUPLICATES menu command will ask if you want to compare both left/right folders if in dual pane mode, or just the current (active) folder

* [P] numeric search rules include a new unit "minutes" meant for audio/video duration (LENGTH property), equivalent to 600,000,000 base units (100s of nanoseconds). This way you can locate MP3 tunes by duration easily

* Find tab command dialog shows the full path of the selected item in the description area for easier identification

* Active path portion in the crumbBar is highlighted by underlining, accentuating the "click on link" mouse action. If you need even better visibility, you can change the "folder highlight color" using Advanced Options menu command.

* [P] New Infobar stock column TOTAL DURATION shows the total length of any selected media files (music and video). Right click on an infobar (VIEW > TOOLBARS menu) to turn it on (select the column)

* New friendlier dates activated with advanced registry option GAO2_PALDATE (=8192). They are easy to read AND offer more information than the older "friendly dates" (available from program options, Advanced property page — you need to turn this option on too). Now you get at least 1-day accuracy for all files; for modification dates that are recent, you get up to minute accuracy (e.g. "last 10 minutes"). If you are sorting by a stock date column, the view automatically refreshes every 1 minute to show correct minute-accurate dates.
NOTE: when friendly dates are on, you can see exact dates (including time) using the Detais pane (VIEW menu)

* $-counters (e.g. $1) used in mass rename can have an optional step size instead of the default increase by one. The step is defined after the starting digits separated by a colon, as $1:2 (will generate the sequence 1 3 5...) Remember that the counter token reflects the starting number and any leading zeroes: $003:5 will generate the sequence 003 008 013 ...

* registry writes get to be a bit more efficient, only saving lists that have actually changed. This was quite a sweeping code change so please keep an eye open for any odd settings behavior (bookmarks and other custom lists).

* [U export settings to INI file correctly saves all layout data, if any custom layouts are defined (see WINDOW menu); the side effect is that all layouts must be opened simultaneously (with your permission). Likewise switching saving program settings from registry to INI (or vice versa) will save all layout settings.

* [P] if you right click on a toolbar button that corresponds to a customizable command (e.g. bookmark, macro, user command) you can edit its definition using PROPERTIES menu command. This is quicker than going through the ORGANIZE menu command for the customizable list

* [P] Macros can be duplicated (cloned) within the macro Organize dialog (see CUSTOMIZE menu)

* [P] better handling of custom icons (user commands etc), which should help faster program startups and adding of custom items. If you use custom icons a lot, it's best to use something available from a local DLL or file, otherwise delays may result

* For large files (above the checksum extraction limit set in TOOLS > OPTIONS) checksum [S]tock column will calculate the first 4MB (or whatever the limit is) and add the file size on top. So it will be an indication of file content for comparison purposes, at least better than no checksum at all for large files! This doesn't apply for the MD5 column, which is still constrained by the checksum limit.

* When a tree item is filtered and filtering is suspended, a right click context menu will show a checkmark next to "Hide this folder" command. Use the command to UNhide a tree node

* Copy/Move to dialog (F5/F6 keys) HERE box includes all bookmarks and frequent folders as targets for easy selection. In this box up-arrow autocomplete works: type part of the name of the path then hit up arrow key a few times till you see the desired folder selected.

* [P] The similar picture locator dialog box (TOOLS > FIND SIMILAR PHOTOS menu command in a scrap window) has a checkbox to "select all duplicates", so you can easily get rid of the extras. However it is advisable to double check the automatic selections and intervene manually to keep the good pictures, as the AI involved doesn't possess artistic taste yet :)
Ticking this SELECT option will automatically turn on sticky selection mode. To turn it off press <ALT+S> keys or see MARK menu.
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: new beta version 4407

Post by nikos »

now version 4409 download link as above, further additions below:
* Advanced option GAO2_PRECISEDATES(=65536) ensures that file dates shown are always 1-second accurate for NTFS formatted hard discs. Note this flag will affect somewhat the folder reading speed, and the benefit isn't important for most people. Probably not needed for windows 10 either! (older windows may degrade date accuracy in 2-second intervals)

* [P] advanced option GAO2_365PATCH(=32768) adds experimental patch for office 365 native preview. The down side is that the preview pane will grow and shrink all the time by 1 pixel, and it won't make DOCX preview perfect. Still looking for a perfect solution...
longfellow
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by longfellow »

Hi Nikos, I've been testing beta 4407 for a few days now, and everything seems to be working fine.

The addition of UPPER- and lower-case presets to the Mass Renamer is most welcome! Is it possible to add a preset for Capitalization, as well? I remember the Deelx engine being a little arcane in that standard RegEx constructions using the \U token didn't work
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

I considered capitalization but without regexp it was very hard to manage, I mean in terms of GUI. There are so many possibilities for capitalization that would require a monster interface!
FrizzleFry
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by FrizzleFry »

I've been using the 4409 beta for that last couple of days and it looks pretty good.

The export settings to ini file is a little wacky with opening all layouts but if that is what it takes so be it... it's not like I will be doing that very often.

My favorite new feature is the right-click properties for user commands toolbar buttons. It would be nice if we could right click on user commands in the list off the customize menu and get to the properties from there as well.
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

once you have the menu open, it isn't much saving to right click compared to selecting ORGANIZE?
FrizzleFry
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by FrizzleFry »

I have the user command list set up to break columns at 25 lines and I have grouped user commands so that it is much easier and quicker to find them in the list than in the organize dialog. But consider this a very low level request because having the properties command from the toolbar buttons pretty much handles my user command editing needs.
longfellow
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by longfellow »

nikos wrote: 2020 Sep 22, 05:52 I considered capitalization but without regexp it was very hard to manage, I mean in terms of GUI. There are so many possibilities for capitalization that would require a monster interface!
I understand, and thought this might be the case. :)

Here's a request: Can we have a proper color selector at Tools > Options > Window > Main font? Right now this is a drop-down of 16 preset colors - I think the only place in x2 that doesn't have a proper color picker. Bonus if you can also change the foreground/background color selectors in Editor2 from 16 color drop-downs to proper color pickers.

Also, beta 4409 running fine.
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

re: color picker, are you talking about editor2 or xplorer2? The one in xplorer2 has 40 presets and you can click "More colors" to choose any color you like
longfellow
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by longfellow »

Both, actually.

In xplorer2, if you go to Tools > Options > Window > Main font, the dialog that opens has a drop-down with 16 color presets for choosing the font color. I'm asking if this 16 color selector can be changed to the 40 preset/More colors picker that xplorer2 has everywhere else.

Likewise, editor2's options has the 16 color preset drop-down for selecting foreground and background colors. I would also ask for these to be changed to the 40 preset/More colors picker.
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

the one in the font selector cannot be changed. It's a whole package. I think the listview control applies a foreground color based on the background color anyway
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

latest build 440.11 with these extras (download link further up)
* Global registry setting chRenDefault is the single character to use whenever illegal characters are inserted in filenames during renaming. The default value is _ (underscore). Leave empty so that all illegal characters are removed automatically (not just replaced).

* [P] Drivebar shows also items without drive letters, e.g. external HDs mounted on empty folders. For those that have more drives than letters in the english language! Global registry setting nMountDriveChars specifies how long mount names to show on the drivebar (the tooltip shows the full name if cropped). Set it to 0 to stop xplorer² showing pure mounts altogether, leaving only normal drive letters.
NOTE: the mount name comes from the folder, not the drive, see here for more information
http://zabkat.com/blog/volume-mount-poi ... up.htm.htm
pschroeter
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by pschroeter »

[P] mass renaming change case of filenames to UPPER or lower, using the MODE drop-down box. In this mode you cannot make any changes to the name other than its case.
The looks like something I've wanted for years, but what I've always really needed is Title Case. I can't even see a use for ALL CAPS.
If someone just wants to show me the Regex for Title Case I would be very grateful as Regex just goes over my head.
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

can you give me an example how you want a name renamed in titlecase? How does xplorer2 know of the beginning of words?
longfellow
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by longfellow »

nikos wrote: 2020 Oct 03, 06:34 How does xplorer2 know of the beginning of words?
To find the beginning of words, I think the user would need to provide some sort of delimiter (for example, whitespace, a period or a hyphen). The character after that delimter would be assumed to the beginning of a word and converted to uppercase. Also the first character of the string would be assumed to be a word as well. In RegEx, something like the following (using whitespace as a delimiter):

Code: Select all

(^[a-z])|\s[a-z])