SSD Shredding Message

Discussion & Support for xplorer² professional

Moderators: fgagnon, nikos, Site Mods

IHipschman

SSD Shredding Message

Post by IHipschman »

I just got a new computer and have transferred Xplorer2 4.4.0.1 x64 to it. When I shred a file I get a warning message saying:

Shredding files on SSD media doesn't make sense; it is ineffective and reduces the write life of your drive - continue shredding anyway?

The problem is that the new PC doesn't have an SSD, just 2 hard drives. Is this message telling me there is a wrong setting in my UEFI BIOS? My old computer never got this message, but it wasn't UEFI.

Thanks,
Ivan
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: SSD Shredding Message

Post by nikos »

xplorer2 is asking the drive's StorageDeviceTrimProperty to check if it is SSD or not. If you are a programmer, here's the relevant code sample:
https://stackoverflow.com/questions/233 ... 2#33359142
IHipschman

Post by IHipschman »

I am not a programmer in the environment you are talking about (I used to program mainframes in COBOL). So I am just letting you know that the SSD check is not working on my PC. My system has two Western Digital Blue hard drives, model WDBH200020HNC-NRSN if that is a help.

For my own information I would ask if you think there is any incorrect setting on my PC that could be fooling your drive type check? It's not a major issue but I do like to have things working correctly.

Thanks,
Ivan
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

to be honest, I am not a hardware expert, so I will take note of your problem and see if anyone else has the same
IHipschman

Post by IHipschman »

Thanks. I'll follow up on my end to see if I can find an issue which would fool your SSD check. If I find anything I will let you know.
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

all the pure hard discs I tried don't give any false alarms, but that of course doesn't prove that my code is 100% proof
IHipschman

Post by IHipschman »

Nikos,

Thanks for your attention to this. I have gone over the UEFI BIOS manual in detail and the only setting I could find which could relate to drive type is whether AHCI is turned on. Apparently AHCI is always used for SSD and sometimes for hard drives depending on whether they can handle it. It is turned on in on my machine, so if that is what you are checking for it is the problem in my case. The drive properties in Windows shows both to be listed as hard drives. That's all I was able to find that could be relevant. Again, not a major issue.

Ivan
bq3419

Post by bq3419 »

Do you run the 2004 version of Windows 10? There remains a TRIM bug which causes HD's to be treated as SSD's:

https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/news/m ... efragging/
IHipschman

Post by IHipschman »

bq3419,

Thanks for the info. I am indeed on version 2004. I am hesitant to force an install of the newest version before it is officially released. To your knowledge does the trim bug pose any threat to the health of my PC?
IHipschman

Post by IHipschman »

Nikos,

I didn't mean to keep pestering you on this hopefully minor issue, but I have a new observation which might help. If I try to shred an empty folder, Xplorer2 fails to remove it, and apparently grabs ownership of the folder so that subsequent attempts to delete it fail with The action can't be completed because the folder or a file in it is open in another program. The folder can't be deleted until I reboot. I don't remember this happening on my old PC.

Hope this helps,
Ivan
bq3419

Post by bq3419 »

IHipschman wrote: 2020 Oct 25, 21:09 I am indeed on version 2004. I am hesitant to force an install of the newest version before it is officially released. To your knowledge does the trim bug pose any threat to the health of my PC?
As I understand it, the bug that's fixed could cause additional wear on SSD's. The remaining bug is benign (trying a TRIM command on HD's), but probably does confuse xplorer2. I don't think 20H2 fixes this as yet, so no hurry to upgrade.
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

IHipschman wrote: 2020 Oct 25, 21:15 If I try to shred an empty folder, Xplorer2 fails to remove it
sorry I cannot reproduce that