Unknown file attribute

Discussion & Support for xplorer² professional

Moderators: fgagnon, nikos, Site Mods

IHipschman

Unknown file attribute

Post by IHipschman »

I have 4 files with an attribute of I or L which seems to be preventing the file being modified or deleted. Can you tell me what this attribute is and how it can be removed.

Thanks

bq3419

Re: Unknown file attribute

Post by bq3419 »

According to a Google search leading to this article, the I-attribute (uppercase i) means that the file shouldn't be indexed by the Windows Search indexer. I can't immediately find a reason why the I-attribute prevents modification or deletion.

As for removing the I-attribute, by opening the file properties and clicking Advanced on the General tab, you can deselect the option Allow this file to have contents indexed in addition to file properties.
IHipschman

Post by IHipschman »

OK, never mind. I did a little more research on my own and found that the "i" attribute is the Not content indexed file attribute. and is apparently not the reason the file could not be modified or deleted. The reason for that was the security/ownership setting of the file. Not sure how the ownership got bolluxed up nor how the "i" attribute got set, but fixing the ownership allowed me to remove the "i" using a command prompt and the attrib command. I don't know if the attribute could have been removed using xplorer2 but I found a workaround so it is not an issue.
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

I is an attribute controlled by search indexer. I don't know what's the policy for marking some files as I, perhaps it's those temporary files that needn't go to the search index