UI high DPI scaling weirdness

Discussion & Support for xplorer² professional

Moderators: fgagnon, nikos, Site Mods

dunno
Gold Member
Gold Member

UI high DPI scaling weirdness

Post by dunno »

Windows 10 pro: VLC player: 4k TV (correct resolution set GPU and windows)
To make X2's toolbars, menu bars, and text editor scale correctly on my 4k TV I did the following;
X2 desktop shortcut right click > Properties > Compatibility > Change settings for all users > Change High DPI settings > High DPI scaling override > change from Application > System (enhanced). Apply ok etc. open X2 and scaling is correct every where, except,

If I open a video file from within X2 it opens VLC but only plays in a upper left quadrant of VLC's window, it doesn't maximize.
If I close X2 and open the same video from within VLC it opens to correct size.
If I revert the desktop icons DPI scaling back to application and I open a video file from within X2 it opens correctly full screen. but ofcourse X2 UI scaling with DPI scaling properties set to Application makes all the UI icons tiny, not good.

Just thought i'd bring this to your attention, OCD prevails :wink:

P.S. the above scaling fix works for any application's menu which doesn't scale correctly, my Elite Dangerous control panel didn't scale correctly and the above fixed that.
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: UI high DPI scaling weirdness

Post by nikos »

this is a very nasty topic
I believe that when you launch VLC from xplorer2, it inherits the "compatibility tweaks" you enforced for xplorer2
perhaps if you start VLC separately, then videos you launch from xplorer2 will merge with the pre-existing VLC process and show correctly?

which xplorer2 version do you have? The latest one shouldn't look that bad, without any special tweaking?
dunno
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: UI high DPI scaling weirdness

Post by dunno »

I'm using the latest version. its only on my 4k TV that this scaling issue exists. with "Application" DPI set everything is so tiny, even the text editor's font was tiny tiny, with "System (enhanced)" set X2's scaling is perfect and text editors font was normal.

Its not a problem as I know how to work around this minor/trivial issue