anybody using descript.ION files?

Discussion & Support for xplorer² professional

Moderators: fgagnon, nikos, Site Mods

nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

anybody using descript.ION files?

Post by nikos »

Do you use this old school DESCRIPT.ION file for file comments? If so can you tell me how you like its integration with xplorer2?
thanks
FrizzleFry
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Re: anybody using descript.ION files?

Post by FrizzleFry »

I use descrip.ion files for a few files and I did notice when I was playing with the details panel last year that it was reading the descriptions as comments. What other stuff is x2 doing with descrip.ion files? I do not think it is carrying the info when copying/moving/renaming files.

I usually use an old version of Total Commander when I want to organize files with descriptions.
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

xplorer2 uses "descript.ion" for reading only, if the file is moved, the comment stays behind
I was wondering if descript.ion store 8.3 file names ever?
FrizzleFry
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by FrizzleFry »

I don't believe so unless of course the regular filename is 8.3 short. This link from JPSoft via Wayback Machine explains the format of descript.ion files.

This description mechanism was created by JPSoft (I think) before Windows NT and Windows 95 introduced longer filenames to Microsoft OSs. But they are still useful in cases where a lot of info which would make for extremely long filenames is wanted.