#manatwork

Discussion & Support for xplorer² professional

Moderators: fgagnon, nikos, Site Mods

nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: #manatwork

Post by nikos »

frankly the quickest way to deal with files on your phone is to remove the SD card storage off it (if any) and insert it in your computer's card reader. 100 times faster to move files around!
Robert2
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Robert2 »

If I right-click a .webp picture name in a folder, and select Copy, it gets pasted as an undefined object into Word.
If I preview a .webp picture in Native mode, it does not get displayed. Probably because there is no such file association on my system.
If I preview a .webp picture in Draft mode, it does get displayed correctly. I can then right-click the picture and select Copy. The picture gets pasted as such in Word.
When the .webp picture gets displayed in the Preview Draft mode, is it because of conversion to a bitmap format? How is this done internally?
I wish I could right-click a .webp picture name in a folder, and select Copy Image directly. Would that be possible?
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

when you choose COPY from the shell context menu, you copy the FILE, not the content (picture). What you can try is to drag-drop the picture file into word and hope that word will try to open it as a file
johngalt
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by johngalt »

nikos wrote: 2021 Jan 21, 06:15 frankly the quickest way to deal with files on your phone is to remove the SD card storage off it (if any) and insert it in your computer's card reader. 100 times faster to move files around!
That's all well and good - If you have one. I've done this numerous times in the past.

My Pixel 4 XL, for example, has no removable MicroSD Card. Another seemingly 'unneeded' feature, like removable batteries and headphone jacks.

I'm just waiting on the day that the powers that be decide that we don't need actual cell phone circuitry anymore since we can do everything over data-only connections.

johngalt
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by johngalt »

And also, there are times that even having a removable SDCard won't help, depending upon what your actual purpose is wrt data mgmt on your device.

For example, this little tidbit I wrote 10 years ago:

https://androidforums.com/threads/alter ... ter.51037/

Unless you specifically set your device to store apps on the SDCard, it doesn't. And thus we're back at square one, in that we're forced to use the antiquated MTP interface to make this sort of a backup (even if I am the only one left doing it after all this time ;P )

nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

anyway v5 will help you with backups to/from phones, although the MPT transfer speed will still suck :)
otlaolap
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by otlaolap »

Here is something I would have found really really useful over the past few months. I know this is wish number 4, but I think it is in the domain of the useful features you do add to X2 and which give X2 its advantages. And I have wanted for a long while to make suggestion that might lead to an even-better X2.

I have been using the quick filter field a lot (in filter mode). I filter to see a bunch of files with some part of the filename in them. What I want now are two operators on that quick filter box: "more" and "less" (akin to KEdit's more and less commands). The "more" operator would add more files to the visually filtered list; the "less" operator would remove them from the list. I can see how this might be easy to implement in select mode, where an enter key is used to trigger the actual application of the filter. But I really would like it to work in visual-filter mode as well.

This paragraph contains mulling. Suppose > and < were adopted as "more" and "less" (they are not valid as part of a file name). Then the filter might work dynamically: "Smith>Jones" would show all files with those two names in then; "Smith>Jones<George" would get rid of the Georges among the Smiths and Joneses. It would be an experiment to see whether dynamically updating the filtered list character-by-character worked well in these extended cases; if not, then the presence of a > or < in the field could require an enter key to apply it.

What I am actually doing is looking at a lot of photos with descriptive names, trying to select batches of related photos, add more related to them, toss out those with certain people, add other people, and so on, until I get a batch of interest. "less" and "more" work wonders in the text editor (KEdit is a line-oriented text edit, and working with lines in this manner is much like working with lists of file names). To do this in X2 in thumbnail mode would be really nice.
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

I don't understand your suggestion. if you want to build selections of related stuff why don't you use a scrap container? Select a batch, CTRL+S to put them in a scrap, then select some more...
otlaolap
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by otlaolap »

In trying to find a way to clairfy, I stumbled upon Mark Select Group and Mark Unselect Group. These work identically to "more" and "less", in that they are cumulative and each applies itself to the existing current state. Perfect. But the problem for me is that they do not work on folders -- only on files. And the things I am trying to sort and filter are all folders. Even in scrap containers, they work only on folders -- all I get is "no items match the specified filter". Is there a way to make Mark work with folders? Or have i set an option somewhare to prohibit this?

I any case, if they don't work on folders then I'll contract my suggestion to "make them work on folders". If they do work on folders then I withdraw my suggestion but need to know what I'm doing wrong. (I can happily live without them working in the quick filter bar at the top of the screen -- what I tried to describe there in my earlier post boils down to a sequence of select-group and unselect-group operations but dispaling rather than selecting.)
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

if you use ALT+G (mark > matching a rule command), and you press SHIFT when you click on [select] button, the old selection is preserved like you want it. This is one of the million little goodies you get with xplorer2! (see http://zabkat.com/x2tips.rtf)
otlaolap
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by otlaolap »

That works on folders -- thanks. With a little AutoHotkey automation I'll be home free. Start with a list and the visual filter set to show-selected-only (my normal state in this particular work flow). A hotkey will pop up a text box in which the search string is typed. On enter: close the text box, turn the visual filter off (because Alt+G does not find things outside the view and I want in the "more" case to find things in the underlying container or folder as well as the view), do the Alt+G logic with shift, and turn the visual filter back on to selected-only. One hotkey for "Less" and one for "More" -- they will be working as in my mind.

Quick aside: where do visually-filterd-out items go? They are not in the listview as far as I can see (the ATL:BrowserListView); the count and item indexes reflect only what is shown on screen. Do you keep a parallel unfiltered listview around?

And, as always, thanks for the 3XXXX codes.
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

when items are hidden in any way, they are removed from the listview control. I keep track of them internally
otlaolap
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by otlaolap »

Thanks for the help and info. My automation is finished, and I sort of like it, but it is neither robust nor elegant. It will help with my current project. The flexibility of X2 has always been impressive to me. Looking forward to the next release.
dunno
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by dunno »

I use dual pane exclusively, It would be great to have a drive bar above each pane, instead of the one drive bar at the top which is traditional for single pane use.

Some file managers have drive bars above the windows if in Quad pane mode, this is brilliant.

Here's a example of a manager which has the drive bars above the selected pane.
https://www.filevoyager.com/screenshots ... ousel-4116

Thanks.
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

in my older days I find any complexity (any change even) distasteful. I have this "two of everything" idea somewhere in the list but not this time.