I have tested a lot on windows 10, but not as much on windows 7 and older platforms, so please let me know if you see anything weird if you use older windows.
thanks for your comments/bug reports/or whatever feedback!
* MILLER COLUMNS. Bring an apple to your windows desktop, turn on with FILE > COLUMN MODE menu, then when you browse a folder (pressing ENTER or double-click) it opens in a new pane. If too many panes exist, a scrollbar is used to manage them. Each tab can have its own miller columns. The active folder in each set is what's used for dual pane comparisons etc. You can use left-right arrows to jump panes.
* MOUSE PEEK. A super-sized draft preview of the focused item (using VIEW > PEEK PREVIEW menu command), or enable the Mouse Peek option (Window property page) to preview holding down both mouse buttons. Advanced options editor allows you to choose the preview size. Any key or mouse button will dismiss the preview.
* QUICKACCESS TREE. Similar to explorer's quickaccess list, but not identical. Use TOOLS > OPTIONS menu and tick it in Window property page (tree options section). It shows some frequently used folders to begin with but you can put there whatever you like using drag-drop. Thus you have your own (flat) mini-tree with folders you access the most. You can rename and delete items in the QA list without affecting the real folders. You can even put network items in there and xplorer² shouldn't be too slow starting up. Functionality almost identical to miniscrap really
* PHONE BACKUP. Copy options like "overwrite if newer else skip" work for "fake" folders like phones and tablets. So you can copy from/to such devices and your local HD in backup mode. The user interface looks the same as explorer copy, but it supports advanced options -- you set then as usual in the F5 robust copy dialog (or TOOLS > BACKUP menu command). Sorry no wildcard/filters allowed at present. For zipfolders and other compressed archives, it can only be used to get stuff OUT of them (into a regular filesystem folder)
* MANUAL POSITIONS. In small folders set as large icon or thumbnail mode, use ARRANGE BY > MANUALLY menu command to move items with the mouse and leave them where you like. Then use ACTIONS > FOLDER SETTINGS > SAVE menu to put them inside DESKTOP.INI (with other custom folder settings), so when you come back to that folder you'll find the items where you left them. Autosaving changes in positions possible via CLVOPT_CUSTOMAUTOSAVE advanced tweak.
* FOLDER SIZE PIES. The command TOOLS > FOLDER STATISTICS will show a little pie chart of the biggest folders in your list, one for each level you browse. It should help the visual folks to see the big folders eating up your hard disk space. Drag the splitter to make it bigger or smaller.
* CAMEL CASE. Mass renaming has 2 new options, a camel that changes spaces into capitals (e.g. "hello world-son" becomes helloWorldSon) and one to remove accents, so the German "über" will become "uber".
* FAST DUPES. Ultimate version gets a new algorithm for duplicate files detection, that is 100+ times faster and it makes checking duplicates for your entire hard disk feasible.
for many smaller features see HELP > WHAT'S NEW but that file including all the documentation is work in progress!