normal menu
100%

Total votes: 31

nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

are you a ribbon or menu person?

Post by nikos »

As I sit down to do some demo videos about the new v5 features, I wonder if more people are using the menu or the ribbon toolbar as their main user interface? I don't want to make the demo videos extra long showing both menu and ribbon commands. So I want to get a feel of the majority UI mode
pj
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: are you a ribbon or menu person?

Post by pj »

I have been forced to accept the ribbon on M$ crap but I'll avoid them everywhere else if at all possible.

I'm still willing to contribute to the funding to take a hit out on the person or persons that came up with the "ribbon" UI.

----------------------------------
PJ in (well, somewhere)
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

this looks like an open and shut case :)

ps. I am not planning to remove the ribbon, I am just curious!
Tuxman
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Tuxman »

pj wrote: 2021 Feb 09, 16:40 I have been forced to accept the ribbon on M$ crap
One of the reasons why I bought SoftMaker Office years ago. The newest versions allow me to choose a ribbon bar... but I don’t. :D
Tux. ; tuxproject.de
registered xplorer² pro user since Oct 2009, ultimated in Mar 2012
johngalt
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by johngalt »

I've found that ribbon interfaces have their uses every once in a blue moon. However, I prefer the non-ribbon interface - for a few reasons, mainly being that the non-ribbon interface gives me access to a lot more commands and features than the ribbon one does.

FrizzleFry
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by FrizzleFry »

I'm just too used to the menu in x2. I did play with the ribbon some back when nikos added it to x2 but got tired of having to look for commands that I use often. I don't hate the ribbon in Windows/File Explorer when I use it on other PCs.
pj
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by pj »

Tuxman wrote: 2021 Feb 12, 15:04 ...

One of the reasons why I bought SoftMaker Office years ago. The newest versions allow me to choose a ribbon bar... but I don’t. :D
I'm addicted to Excel/VBA. Not going to throw all that away to learn Python or other languages for automation. I've created entire applications (simple ones!) using Excel/VBA and a VB script to open the excel as an automation object so it doesn't interact with any other open Excel workbooks. Too old for this dog to learn how to do tricks like that in a new environment....

--------------
PJ in FL
ozzii
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by ozzii »

johngalt wrote: 2021 Feb 13, 21:09 I've found that ribbon interfaces have their uses every once in a blue moon. However, I prefer the non-ribbon interface - for a few reasons, mainly being that the non-ribbon interface gives me access to a lot more commands and features than the ribbon one does.
Same for me
EMathews3
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by EMathews3 »

is a terrific deal. During a promotional last year it came with a license for current version of Corel Paintshop Pro.
Tuxman
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Tuxman »

Which informs me that there is a newer version available when I start it ... :D and it really has become awfully slow even on my gaming laptop.
Tux. ; tuxproject.de
registered xplorer² pro user since Oct 2009, ultimated in Mar 2012
BRX
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by BRX »

I'm absolutely a menu person. I never find my way in ribbons.
Gary M. Mugford
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by Gary M. Mugford »

Nikos,

I'm going to start a new thread in the group asking about solutions with the NORMAL menu and toolbars on a 4K monitor. So, consider my vote here to be with the MONOPOLISTS here who prefer a normal menu rather than the ... five adjectives and a pejorative that is the Ribbon interface. Like a lot of programmers, you have your pet code and you've spent a lot of time on it. I UNDERSTAND you are protective of it. You're entitled to be wrong because you do so much right with the guts of the program. But the ribbon interface, even your classy implementation, is not a first choice option.
dunno
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by dunno »

My main portal to pc work is a 4k TV, its where I spend most of my leisure time, gaming, productivity, and entertainment. 4k pc monitors will become the norm due to distance to screen, resolution, and increase in size, yes size does matter. So, resolving the issues pertaining to correct scaling in 4k is inevitable methinks.

I don't use the ribbon toolbar, customise normal and like it that way.
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

xplorer2 should show fine on 4k screens, if freshly installed or if you use the recommended tweaks

some people have problems when they use a 4k monitor together with a regular monitor, which is an area I have no statistics nor the capability to fix. But then you can use compatibility fixes and let windows correct xplorer2 faults
dunno
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by dunno »

@Nikos
In the interests of retaining sanity would you mind trying the following on a 4k TV or monitor.

Open X2; Open a Video file from within X2 with VLC (default).
Does VLC play the file correctly or is the video displayed only in the top left quadrant, even if full screen is invoked the video only appears in the top left quadrant. If I open the video file from within VLC it displays correctly.

This only happens on my 4K TV. I have Clean installed Win10 pro 3 times over the last few months, same result every time with X2 and VLC video files.