Discussion & Support for xplorer² professional

Moderators: fgagnon, nikos, Site Mods

FrizzleFry
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Re: beta version 450.15

Post by FrizzleFry »

nikos wrote: 2021 Feb 14, 14:23
FrizzleFry wrote: 2021 Feb 14, 12:41 where in the reg to you need to create the DPF_TABINSERTNEXT value?
you don't need to fiddle with the registry just use the settings editor and find the mainframe settings area
new tabs open next to active after changing the setting using the editor

the value of binDualPaneFlags in my main layout was changed from 9cf0d to 49cf0f
so the editor added the expected 400000 (as I was doing manually) and an additional 2
that extra 2 remains if I disable DPF_TABINSERTNEXT

anyway new tabs now open next to the active one!
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

does anybody else see the weird problem of johngalt where the .. updir item in miller columns opens a NEW pane instead of going to the pane to the left as it is supposed to do?

@johngalt does it make any difference if instead of .. you press backspace to go up-dir?
bq3419

Post by bq3419 »

nikos wrote: 2021 Feb 15, 11:21 does anybody else see the weird problem of johngalt where the .. updir item in miller columns opens a NEW pane instead of going to the pane to the left as it is supposed to do?
I can't confirm it with my settings.
johngalt
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by johngalt »

nikos wrote: 2021 Feb 15, 11:21 does anybody else see the weird problem of johngalt where the .. updir item in miller columns opens a NEW pane instead of going to the pane to the left as it is supposed to do?

@johngalt does it make any difference if instead of .. you press backspace to go up-dir?
I'm not sure what is going on.

I *think* it depends upon which folder I am in - but I need to be exhaustive in my testing - it seems random. Not sure if it is location, if it is tree-depth, if it is file type, if it is based upon the contents....

Using backspace, sometimes it goes back to the previous pane *without* closing the pane I was just in - sometimes it goes back up the tree (to parent directory, and continues to go back until I reach the top of the tree) in the current pane.

nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

if you find a folder that clicking on up-dir (..) opens a new miller pane, does it always open a new pane (in that folder) or is it also random?
Robert2
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Robert2 »

johngalt wrote: 2021 Feb 16, 01:52 Using backspace, sometimes it goes back to the previous pane *without* closing the pane I was just in - sometimes it goes back up the tree (to parent directory, and continues to go back until I reach the top of the tree) in the current pane.
I am not sure but this seems to be the same “problem” I had with miller panes when they included “a local shortcut that jumps far off" as Nikos said. If I press backspace when that far off location is highlighted, x² goes back to the local shortcut that "jumps far off". If I then press backspace, x² won’t go back to the previous pane, it goes up the tree in the current pane.
As I now understand things, this cannot be avoided.
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

build .15 if you have it, has relaxed the "far away" limitation. So if you are in a miller pane and it includes a folder shortcut, then a new pane will open "far away" without destroying the miller siblings. Of course then backspace won't go left, as the folder to the left is no longer the parent
Robert2
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Robert2 »

In such cases, it proved more practical to press the left arrow key to go to the previous pane.
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

yours aye :)
johngalt
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by johngalt »

nikos wrote: 2021 Feb 16, 06:02 if you find a folder that clicking on up-dir (..) opens a new miller pane, does it always open a new pane (in that folder) or is it also random?
That's what I'm trying to ascertain. TBH, I've had it do both in the exact same folder at different times, which is why I said I needed to test it more exhaustively.

It's as if I'm dealing with teen angst - completely random and unpredictable.

I'm going to stop using the [ALT] + [INS] shortcut to enable Miller columns, and create a test scheme that takes into account as many of the potential variables I listed to see if I can get a definite answer as to why it is changing - and hope I get an actual answer.

nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

johngalt wrote: 2021 Feb 16, 15:25 It's as if I'm dealing with teen angst - completely random and unpredictable.
:D