Discussion & Support for xplorer² professional

Moderators: fgagnon, nikos, Site Mods

nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: build 5001 released

Post by nikos »

this is not normal
can you show us a picture how your xplorer2 looks when it eats up all this memory?
IneedHelp
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by IneedHelp »

Sure, here's an instance

This is vanilla, just dual pane, scrap, preview, nothing fancy. I let it sit like this for a couple more hours and memory usage is an extra GB.
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

:shrug:
johngalt
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by johngalt »

Holy moly!

I have my personal profile, with 8 tabs on the left and 6 on the right, and it's only using 26.6 MB.

The usual suspects - scanning with multiple antivirus scanners to verify it isn't using anything in the background - I see that 0.1 MB/s of HDD usage, too.

Also, those are a lot of icons on your taskbar - Maybe try saving all your settings, and then resetting the toolbar - there are more than a couple of icons up there that are not accessible at all from the toolbar customization feature here (I tried to faithfully recreate your toolbar, but could not), so I suspect they are custom macros that you've written / incorporated? Could one of them possibly be trying to 'phone home' or 'poll for the existence of a location that is offline?

IneedHelp
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by IneedHelp »

I have all AV related stuff disabled, and all the commands on the toolbar are stock commands, they're greyed out because they work in the context of selected files/folders. I've made a new "discovery", I've installed x2 on yet another desktop with the same Windows 10 version and in this case it doesn't eat RAM, it stays at 16 MB, so yeah, there are some weird things happening on the systems that cause x2 to eat RAM, but I don't know what it could be.
johngalt
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by johngalt »

Yeah, I just realized - I couldn't find them in the available section because they were already on my toolbar, just farther down to the right, and I didn't notice it. So I assumed they were custom buttons.

Sorry about that.

I'd try uninstalling it on the machine it's eating resources, and then rebooting and reinstalling (using the same installer that you used on the new test machine where it is not eating resources - copy it onto a flash drive and use the same one). If it still eats resources, I'd also do that virus scan with an online scanner or a downloadable rescue disk that will reboot your machine and scan it offline, just to be sure it isn't some sort of infection.

johngalt
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by johngalt »

Also, were the machines installed with the same options when installing Windows? As in the same telemetry options, enabling . disabling Cortana, etc., basically all the stuff that you do after installation but before use?

IneedHelp
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by IneedHelp »

johngalt wrote: 2021 May 13, 16:37 Also, were the machines installed with the same options when installing Windows? As in the same telemetry options, enabling . disabling Cortana, etc., basically all the stuff that you do after installation but before use?
For testing purposes, right now I only have available a laptop and a desktop PC, they both run the same Windows 10 Pro version with the same installation settings. x2 was always eating RAM when running on the laptop, and I've always installed it immediately after the Windows setup, so there aren't any of my exotic tools and settings that could potentially trigger it to act this way. I don't know, I think I'll never get to the bottom of this unless Nikos releases a version that can dump debug data and see what's going on internally in X2, which I am not holding my hopes up for :bigsmile:
johngalt
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by johngalt »

OK, so none of the OEM specific applications installed that might cause issues.

How about drivers, any OEM specific drivers that you (or Windows) might have installed? Are both machines using mechanical HDDs, or SSDs, for install, and are they SATA II or II, or (if SSDs), M.2 or even NVMe?

Could very well be a driver issue on the machine(s) where it is eating up the RAM, especially a drive controller driver. Power options is another place too look, though that seems, to me, to be counterintuitive, but still worth looking into.

IneedHelp
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by IneedHelp »

johngalt wrote: 2021 May 13, 17:05 Could very well be a driver issue on the machine(s) where it is eating up the RAM, especially a drive controller driver. Power options is another place too look, though that seems, to me, to be counterintuitive, but still worth looking into.
The system that X2 eats a lot of RAM on is the laptop, the PC plays nice with X2, and they have different specs, obviously, it's a laptop vs a desktop build, the thing is I only notice the RAM issue with X2, none of the other applications I commonly use on multiple systems show a similar issue on the laptop. There's many things I can try to tweak or turn on or off, but the results aren't immediate, as I would have to wait every time for X2 to consume RAM, so it would be a very lengthy process, for something that there might not even be a solution for, unless X2 spits out the inner details about what's going on. I will attempt a more in-depth debugging of the x2 process when I have more time available, for now I mainly wanted to make Nikos aware of this. I might be the only one that has this happening, so then it would not be too much of an incentive for Nikos to seriously look into it :P
johngalt
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by johngalt »

Understood. Still, you are definitely having an issue, and I suspect it is something to do with that exact laptop, whether it be OEM drivers, OEM software, or something else.

CrossX
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by CrossX »

For in-depth testing purposes try Windows Performance Analyzer
https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/window ... e-analyzer