Inconsistent context menu theme between different systems

Discussion & Support for xplorer² professional

Moderators: fgagnon, nikos, Site Mods

IneedHelp
Gold Member
Gold Member

Inconsistent context menu theme between different systems

Post by IneedHelp »

I have a laptop and a PC, both running the same Windows 10 Pro x64 version, both set to dark theme, but the laptop shows a light themed context menu while the PC shows a dark themed context menu in xplorer2. I am not sure what causes the inconsistency, does anyone have an idea?

Last edited by IneedHelp on 2021 May 10, 11:05, edited 1 time in total.
IneedHelp
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Inconsistent conext menu theme between different systems

Post by IneedHelp »

Apparently switching to Light and then back to Dark windows theme on the PC (which was displaying a dark context menu) made it so that now it displays a light context menu in xplorer2, which is what I want, but it's a bit confusing how this works.. normally you'd expect a dark context menu when the windows theme is set to dark (I just prefer the white context menu because x2 is light themed overall and I don't like the contrast it creates with a dark context menu).
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

windows light/dark themes won't affect xplorer2, use Dark Mode from TOOLS > OPTIONS in xplorer2
IneedHelp
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by IneedHelp »

nikos wrote: 2021 May 10, 06:35 windows light/dark themes won't affect xplorer2
They don't affect xplorer2, but they can affect the context menu in x2, which is what I was pointing out.
johngalt
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Inconsistent context menu theme between different systems

Post by johngalt »

Actually, I never realized I could get a dark context menu - I've been using the Windows dark them *and* Xplorer² dark mode, but my context menus were always light in color. Since they were not glaringly white, but more gray-ish, I didn't really complain.

But seeing how you have a dark context menu, now *I* want mine to be dark. Time to see if I can get Windows to force it dark.

nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

in my case when x2's dark mode is on, menus are gray+dark, but that's all xplorer2's doing
IneedHelp
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by IneedHelp »

johngalt wrote: 2021 May 10, 17:12 But seeing how you have a dark context menu, now *I* want mine to be dark. Time to see if I can get Windows to force it dark.
It's possible that if you have x2 in dark mode, it overrides whatever theme Windows might try to apply to it. I also think this heavily depends on which version of Windows 10 you are using as I see many inconsistencies in how theming works across different systems using the same version of Windows, not to mention different versions of the OS itself.
johngalt
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by johngalt »

I get a slightly darker gray on X² when using dark mode, but it is certainly not following (in terms of using the same colors) the actual dark mode. IOW, my panes are black or a very dark gray (when highlighted) but the context menu is much, much brighter, using a light- medium gray. When I turn off dark mode, the context menu is just slightly brighter than it is in X² in dark mode. Of course, this is subjective, as I'm look at one menu with a predominantly dark window behind it and the other with a predominantly light window behind it, so the differences may be exaggerated to seemingly not as large as they actually are....

I was hoping to get the dark context menu that INH showed in the picture- sadly, I can't get it to accidentally work for me. That would be perfect. But I know that that is probably a Windows thing, not an X² thing.

IneedHelp
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by IneedHelp »

johngalt wrote: 2021 May 11, 15:43 that is probably a Windows thing, not an X² thing.
The way Windows 10 handles themes/colors feels inconsistent across different machines (using the same OS version). For example, I can't get the dark context menu in x2 on the laptop, but I can get it on the PC, yet I don't want the dark menu in x2 while using the dark Windows 10 theme, but I got to keep the light x2 context menu by saving settings (? .. which is weird).
johngalt
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by johngalt »

Yeah. Could be different hardware, could be something else, who knows?
Last edited by johngalt on 2021 May 13, 16:24, edited 1 time in total.

7leagues

Post by 7leagues »

I'm on a laptop using the dark Windows 10 theme. I have x2 set to its default light theme. Windows has not overridden that.

FWIW, Stardock's WindowBlinds gives you control over all colours used on your machine and overrides Windows settings.