Some suggestions for the great new 5 version

Discussion & Support for xplorer² professional

Moderators: fgagnon, nikos, Site Mods

victor50

Some suggestions for the great new 5 version

Post by victor50 »

Sorry if I duplicate others but as I didn't find a special place to do requests where I can see others I drop it here:
(1) The instruction video's on YouTube use Edge instead of my default Firefox. Is there a special reason?
(2) Don't know if it is very practical but should there be a possibility to activate Miller by default? Or maybe some key-combination would be nice.
(3) In writing a book I have shortcuts to chapter-files in a special folder. Would be nice if there was a possibility to open the folderlocation in a new pane (or a Miller-pane) in stead of opening it in Windows explorer.

TIA
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Some suggestions for the great new 5 version

Post by nikos »

1. if xplorer2 isn't using internet explorer, then it is using your default browser (which may not be what you are using most of the time)

2. If you leave a pane with miller columns, then when you restart xplorer2 it will be miller-ready as soon as you open a new folder

3. How do files open in windows explorer? If you have any shortcut, use CTRL+L keys to find the target (see GOTO menu)
victor50

Post by victor50 »

(1) I just checked to make sure, but Firefox is my default browser (For 10 (?) years). After some experimenting: It uses IE and this must the way links in v5 are configured. When I click on Help> quickstart the C:\Program Files\zabkat\xplorer2\x2help.htm opens in IE. When I open the file form xplorer2 it opens in FF. When I click on an instruction video in the "How do I" pane I am pushed from IE to Edge.

(2) ok

(3) By some experimenting I found out that this works when one activates explorer-replacement, which I hadn't done. It is quite hard to find how to do this. One would expect that it could be done in Advanced options but it turns out you have to run the installer again. I found this using Google that directed me to you blog about the 5 version (Dated 2014???).

(4) In the Help menu the "online support" opens a mail, which I find misleading. There is no link to the online help-file. The help-file isn't searchable.
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

xplorer2 help is HTML, so if you press CTRL+F in your browser you can search for text

as for IE (you said EDGE in the first message), this is the default browser for xplorer2 help files, but if you hate IE use TOOLS > ADVANCED OPTIONS menu command and tick "don't use IE" option (search for "IE" using the lower-left search box in advanced settings dialog)
stevecrane

Post by stevecrane »

nikos wrote: 2021 May 29, 11:01 as for IE (you said EDGE in the first message), this is the default browser for xplorer2 help files, but if you hate IE use TOOLS > ADVANCED OPTIONS menu command and tick "don't use IE" option (search for "IE" using the lower-left search box in advanced settings dialog)
Awesome this has bothered me for ages but I never bothered to try and sort it out before. In 5.0.0.2 the option is called Use default browser for program help and videos instead of IE.
pj
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by pj »

Man I totally forgot to add this suggestion due to extreme overload from work at the time but:

Make ALL ORGANIZE dialogs MODELESS so the can stay open while continuing to interact with the main X2 window while insuring any changes to the items are updated in the open dialog.

For instance, if BOOKMARKS is open, added bookmarks (i.e. pressing Add Current Bookmark) will force the refresh of the BOOKMARK window and show the new bookmark. The user can edit or move it on the fly while keeping all the functionality of x2 available.

Same for the rest of the ORGANIZE windows. I can't think of any that couldn't be updated / refreshed while modeless.

Maybe 5.1.0.0?

------------------
PJ in FL
pj
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by pj »

Forgot to mention Mass Rename:

If making that modeless, AND adding an APPLY button, multiple changes that need to be completed in sequence to a (large?) group of files could be done without ever leaving the window.

Just a thought.

Hey, X2 is STILL the first program I open every time I boot up!

-------------------------

PJ in FL
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

making things modeless isn't easy, especially if there's a small gain for usability? (I don't see any to be honest :))
Robert2
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Robert2 »

I might be the only one interested in this, but I’d like the Synch Wizard to have an option to ignore EOL when I use the “File Content” option. I also would like the ability to convert Windows EOL to UNIX EOL and vice versa on a selection of files with a click on a menu item or a button. Have I got any chances?
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

so you want to turn xplorer2 into windiff? :)
Robert2
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Robert2 »

WinMerge :D
By the way, WinMerge does not convert UNIX EOL to Windows EOL and vice versa. Notepad++ does.
Xplorer² would combine the benefits of both apps!
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

I will pencil it down as a future improvement but you know that F9 can do all sorts of files, and newlines are only for odd people like me and you that still use plain text files.

how do you get these differences anyway? Perhaps you need a better FTP program like winscp that converts the formats automatically?
Robert2
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Robert2 »

I am using this mainly for XHTML, HTML, and the odd text files. Some servers need UNIX EOL, Windows sometimes needs Windows EOL.
Notepad++ can do EOL conversion only on single files. To do EOL conversion on a group of files, I need to open all the files in Notepad++ and use Find/Replace with regular expressions.
It would be nice to be able to do all this with a mouse click! But I can live without it. I have lived without for 20 years!
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

but that's what I say, if you use winscp to do the transfer of files, you can take care of all necessary conversions at the time of transfer
you keep all your files as "windows" and when you send them to servers they are converted to unix style
Brig
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Brig »

Robert2 wrote: 2021 Oct 14, 11:03 To do EOL conversion on a group of files....
It would be nice to be able to do all this with a mouse click! But I can live without it. I have lived without for 20 years!
Check this out, http://www.gogago.com/eol-converter/index.html

I found it a few years ago. It works. Eliminates that particular headache.