Displaying custom columns based on content type

Discussion & Support for xplorer² professional

Moderators: fgagnon, nikos, Site Mods

Ross
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Displaying custom columns based on content type

Post by Ross »

I believe this has been asked already, but the results of my search were not promising.
I'm still at version 2.5.0.4; I'm eager to upgrade, but right now my currency is unfavourable to the dollar.
So, in my version, can I create custom columns, for the detailed view, based on the current folder?

Examples:
  • If I'm on my pictures folder, then display the column with height and the one with width;
  • If I'm on my videos folder, then display the column with frame height and the one with frame width;
  • If I'm on my apps/executables folder, then display the column with the version;
  • If I'm on my music folder, then display the column with the duration or bitrate.
I don't know whether this can be done automatically, by having x2 detect the most frequent file type in the current folder, or if we can create custom rules per folder, maybe in the bookmarks.

Is it possible on version 2.5.0.4? If not, then is it already possible in the latest version?

Ah Nikos, I'm yet to find a Windows file manager better than xplorer². I believe as long you live, there won't be. Congratulations for the solid piece of software!
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Displaying custom columns based on content type

Post by nikos »

the way to go about this would be to set up column sets (see CUSTOMIZE menu) and then apply them yourself depending on your content.
xplorer2 doesn't do automatic content checking, it treats all folders the same
if there are some folders that you always want to see with a particular column set, use ACTIONS > FOLDER SETTINGS > SAVE menu command
for more information see www.zabkat.com/blog/23Mar08.htm
Ross
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Re: Displaying custom columns based on content type

Post by Ross »

Thanks Nikos, you're fantastic! I got it. Too bad I don't see a "mark as solution" button here in this forum :D