testers wanted

Discussion & Support for xplorer² professional

Moderators: fgagnon, nikos, Site Mods

what do you think about the new program?

yay!
100%
nay!
No votes

Total votes: 7

nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: testers wanted

Post by nikos »

when music comes into the picture, content (the bytes in file) is almost always irrelevant. The idea is to be able to find the same song that may be encoded in different KBPS or completely different format (MP3/FLAC etc)
johngalt
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by johngalt »

Well, not for me.

I accidentally formatted a drive that contained a large amount of music (~350 GB) of (mostly) FLAC encoded files, most of them from rips of my 200+ CDs.

I made sure to protect the drive until I found a viable solution to recover the files from the drive, which I now have done - but it has found multiple files more than once, sometimes more than twice - which is great, for files that actually were duplicated, as I mentioned, from different albums but same basic file. However, there are also ... unexplained duplicates of the exact same file. Being able to find those exact dupes (I religiously tag everything, so even with tags the file content still being an exact duplicate) will allow me to restore 1 and discard the other dupes, saving me a decent bit of space (I think it's close to 25 GB of dupes).....

jimspoon
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by jimspoon »

johngalt wrote: 2021 Jun 22, 17:52 Thank you, sir, on including dark mode in your swan song endeavor.
What's this about a "swan song" - what did I miss?
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

see the read me file in the beta
jimspoon
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by jimspoon »

"probably my swan song for Windows Desktop applications"

I would also be sad about a swan song, but that is an interesting qualifier! New platform(s) perhaps?
EMathews3
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by EMathews3 »

TBH the Windows Browse for Folder dialog is useless without DirectFolders. My apps use the Open File common dialog, because the ease of use from features that people expect is worth the tradeoff of confusion, IMO.
EMathews3
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by EMathews3 »

Very nice start! This program is already useful, even in non-expert mode. I agree the field of clonezapper programs needs this. Suggestions:
- In the main window, add Alt-hotkeys to the toolbar button labels.
- Wishing that F5 would do a Refresh, incorporating filesystem changes that have taken place since the last scan ... without starting all the way over with Ctrl+F for Start (new) scan.
- In the Program settings dialog, Spacebar already toggles between Yes and No. Arrow keys and Enter/Return also provide a keyboard-friendly experience. Wishing that mouse double-click on an item would do a quick toggle, and avoid opening the dropdown menu, instead of just doing the same thing as single-click plus single-click.
- In the Scan for duplicate files dialog, wishing to delete/clear one single "Recent scan history" item, in addition to Clear (all) history. Maybe also "Saved projects" can have a right-click/context menu with [delete the selected item].

Blue-sky dreams:
- Maybe add a checkbox or something like "Yes I understand this can delete files; my last backup was done [enter date]"
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

thanks for your feedback, i-DeClone is work in progress
F5 does a refresh but at present only detects deletions, not modifications. This matter isn't as simple as it seems
settings dialog can do double click on the LABEL of a setting to flip it
kunkel321
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by kunkel321 »

I just cleaned out 2GB of duplicate music... Works great!

One possible improvement is to allow groups of more than 2. For example, if I have 4 copies of "Bark at the Moon.mp," then iDC thinks that this is two separate groups of two. If I mark three of the mp3s for deletion, then it won't delete them all because of the safety feature of "You have to keep at least one item of each group." (Hopefully that makes sense.)

Another idea: I was able to filter the list of duplicates by looking for the suffix "(1)." and then "_2." It might be good if iDC recognized those suffixes and offered them as a group in the Mark Wizard. Also, in the Mark Wizard, you have "Only keep item under this folder." Under that radio button, have a second option for "Keep items NOT under this folder."

Last comments: The "About" link in the Help menu points to a dead link...
https://www.zabkat.com/declone/chkupd.p ... t=30905616

I got a "Some assertions failed" message after using it each time... I can post/send the log file if needed. It's okay to post publicly--yes?

BTW I'm using Win 10. I'm not an administrator of the laptop, so I was pleased to see that I was still able to run the app! :- }
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

thanks for the feedback, stranger :)

in general, groups may contain more than 2 items, depending on your files and scan settings. How did you search for duplicate music, was it exact or approximate?

for custom marking rules, use the quickfilter, then select all items and press SPACE to mark (tick) all of them. Checkboxes survive repeated filterings so you can do it multiple times. Also there is the "mark clipboard" which I don't know if it is of any use (see the buttons next to the filterbar)

broken links will be repaired once i start making the website, later!

as for the assertion LOG file, if you want you can email it to me
thanks
kunkel321
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by kunkel321 »

nikos wrote: 2021 Aug 19, 16:49in general, groups may contain more than 2 items, depending on your files and scan settings. How did you search for duplicate music, was it exact or approximate?
I did a 95% match.

Yep, I figured out the Space = Toggle, so that was good. Also, you can select multiple items by dragging a rectangle, so that's good. :thumbup:
I didn't think of trying a regex match for the filter. That might be over-kill anyway. Allowing "OR" might be good though... Such as "(1) OR _2"
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

I did a 95% match
wrt the "2 items per group" you reported, it is likely that files weren't similar enough to be put in one group? I may add a command to merge selected items in one group

as for regexp etc, declone is a tool for the masses/simple folk so i won't be adding advanced features.
you can repeatedly apply filters to simulate OR in steps
kunkel321
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by kunkel321 »

Hi Nikos,
I'm just checking if the portable download is still there
http://zabkat.com/test/dc_alpha.zip

Nothing is happening when I click it. I suspect that it's because my antivirus is blocking it. On a related note--I had previously been using the one that I already had downloaded and unzipped. The file "declone.exe" is still there, but if I click it, it doesn't appear to do anything. Either you gave the alpha versions "expiration dates" or my computer is blocking it...

FYI I can't use the setup.exe downloads because I'm not an admin of my work computer, and thus can't open them.
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

kunkel321
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by kunkel321 »

Thanks Nikos!

My laptop didn't want to run the setup file because doing so requires admin rights. I was able to "force" it with Nirsoft's AdvancedRun though. I don't have write access to my Program Files, but I pointed it to a different folder. Seemed to work.

It would be okay with me if you made a portable version.