declone: with duplicate selection wizard

Discussion & Support for xplorer² professional

Moderators: fgagnon, nikos, Site Mods

Gandolf
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: declone: with duplicate selection wizard

Post by Gandolf »

nikos wrote: 2021 Jul 13, 04:50 ... If you want search by content you must leave in SIZE
Would it be possible to automatically enable, or prevent disabling, "Size" if "Same file content" is selected? It would seem logical since if you want to compare by content, then the files must be the same size. Just a thought.

Just checked with TC's file compare, if you enable "same contents" it automatically enables "same size".
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

if you forget to add size, it is added automatically
Gandolf
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Gandolf »

Not by my reckoning, unless I'm doing something stupid (which is always possible).

Properties: Name
Compare file contents
New project summary:
Compare these properties
ItemNameDisplay
Check file content: True

Expert mode ON or OFF.

Automatic, based on scan type: UNCHECKED.
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

perhaps it's not in the summary but do you see unequal size files flagged as identical?
Gandolf
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Gandolf »

I haven't done a scan. I'd be very worried if DeClone found different sized files as byte-by-byte identical!!!
lnbrantley

Post by lnbrantley »

nikos wrote: 2021 Jul 13, 04:50 i haven't thought about working with the results while the search is active, as they are premature and more could be added. The best policy is to ignore declone and do something else until the search is complete
I wouldn't want to start selecting or deleting anything while the search is active.

I'd just want to scroll down to see results as they are added. That way you could get an idea if if's getting way too many (or way too few) matches, and if so you could cancel and try again with different settings.

I wouldn't even thought of doing that if you hadn't teased us with the first few matches!
leland

Post by leland »

Not seeing any real progress until it is complete feels annoying (the infinite progress bar that just keeps restarting). It would be nice to see real time results or at least a estimated percentage so you have some clue as to how long it will take. Overall the speed seems fine on the 2TB drive I am using for testing. I know I have some duplicates so it is the perfect test subject.

Could you multi-thread the application so you can interact with the interface while the scan is in process? Or at least have the columns auto size when loading before phase 3. It would be nice to be able to scroll through results while it is finishing the scan.

These are my thoughts on the current alpha.

Thanks.
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

speed will be much increased when alpha goes beta