declone: with duplicate selection wizard

Discussion & Support for xplorer² professional

Moderators: fgagnon, nikos, Site Mods

Gandolf
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: declone: with duplicate selection wizard

Post by Gandolf »

Found another (Interesting) bug: I move the mouse from time to time during the scan to stop the screen blanking. I left the mouse pointer on the Save scan button. When the scan finished there was no completed time displayed in the status bar, it displayed the tool-tip for the button!
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

not a showstopper, surely? :)
when you fly over toolbar buttons the program shows description of the command
Gandolf
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Gandolf »

nikos wrote: 2021 Jul 09, 16:11 ...when you fly over toolbar buttons the program shows description of the command
Yes, I know that but the point I was trying to make was that while the scan was in progress (phase 3), the button tool-tip is not shown. When the scan ended, rather than displaying the results of the scan in the status bar, which I might want to see, it displayed the button tool-tip. The scan results are lost. That's why I called it an "interesting" bug.
Gandolf
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Gandolf »

I can't delete some items from the history, scans that I no longer want to do. I want to repeat a scan but with different parameters, adding another directory for example.

If I recall a saved project then DeClone starts scanning. In order to recall a scan and then change parameters I need to use the history. It would be useful to remove items from the history that I no longer need.
An alternative, and probably better way, is to change how saved projects operate so that the parameters can be changed when the project is recalled.

That's enough DeCloning for to-day. Time for a nice glass of Whiskey while I'm cooking dinner.
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

and a well deserved rest it is :)

if you want to repeat some scans, use SAVE SCAN button. About history right click in the list to remove all of them
leland

Post by leland »

My quick test seemed to work well. I will try to spend more time with it the next week. No major bugs that I could see thus far. The speed in it's current form was quite usable.

Leland
Gandolf
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Gandolf »

Thank you for the compliments, I enjoy alpha/beta testing, otherwise I wouldn't do it. It helps keeps what is still left of the old grey matter working!

Clear history isn't what I want - I tried that AFTER I'd saved the registry key HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\ZabaraKatranemia Plc\DeClone\ScanHistory. I'm glad I did save it, because I hoped Clear history might clear only the highlighted entry, not the whole history. A better name might be Clear ALL history.

Recalling a saved scan/project doesn't allow changes to be made. I think it should work the same as recalling a line from the scan history, i.e. open the window with the scan options and advanced settings. What I wanted was to recall a project, then add (or remove) some directories and, possibly, change the comparison mode. I realize I can do it by opening a new project, loading saved scan options & advanced settings. Then changing what I want, running the scan and then saving the scan. It would seem more logical to me to be able to load a project, then change some of it's parameters.
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

it is an expert mode thing: if you are not running as expert, recalling saved projects will also let you change settings like those from history
Gandolf
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Gandolf »

Now that is the opposite of what I would expect, I thought Expert mode would have given me more control, not less.

Anyway, now I've set Expert mode to NO, I get exactly what I want from recalling a project. However, I can't now change the file types. The two seem to contradict each other, projects have more options, file types have less.

I'll also stick with Low scan priority, since disk access seems the main speed controlling factor.

It's all looking good. Thank you Nikos.
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

i will change it so that it always shows the dialog, expert or not
Gandolf
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Gandolf »

Thank you. It seems more logical.
FrizzleFry
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by FrizzleFry »

Are hardlinks of the same file just ignored (not compared) or not added to the dup list?

I was testing with a folder of pictures in which the same pictures are organized in different ways (by date, by name, by id) but hardlinked to not waste space. declone only displayed duplicates which are not hardlinked.
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

yes at present all kinds of links are not included
lnbrantley

Post by lnbrantley »

1)
While Phase 3 is running, you see the first few results, but you can't interact with that window at all until phase 3 is finished. Would it be possible to allow at least some interaction, for instance:
Scroll down the list to see more than the first few items?
Expand the width of the Folder Path column?

2)
Comparing exact content of Photos:
I go to the Advanced tab and clear all File properties and check "Compare file content (slower)". I would expect it to compare contents without regard to any file properties. But when I click "Start Scan", I see:

Compare these properties
ItemNameDisplay,Size,DateModified,Image.HorizontalSize

which is not what I expected. I have to add "File Size" or "Width" to have it compare contents without regard to "DateModified".

Understandably, you don't want users clicking "Start Scan" with no properties to compare AND no Options selected. But I think a better implementation would be to disable the "Start Scan" button in that case.

3)
Mark wizard is nice!
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

thanks for your feedback

i haven't thought about working with the results while the search is active, as they are premature and more could be added. The best policy is to ignore declone and do something else until the search is complete

2. if you remove all properties, then you automatically get corrected to show the defaults. If you want search by content you must leave in SIZE