No thumbnails displayed for webp file

Discussion & Support for xplorer² professional

Moderators: fgagnon, nikos, Site Mods

richardk
Silver Member
Silver Member

No thumbnails displayed for webp file

Post by richardk »

Is there way to make thumbnails for .webp files? Mine don't have any.
v 2.5.0.4
Win 8.1
Xplorer2 user since at least 2005
Robert2
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: No thumbnails displayed for webp file

Post by Robert2 »

Thumbnails for webp pictures are available in version 5.0.0.3.
EMathews3
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by EMathews3 »

What about WebPs in the Preview / Quick viewer? On upgrade from 5.0.0.2 to 5.0.0.3 Ult x64, the Draft pane is no longer blank, which is good, but it displays hex data, which is not up to par. The Details pane shows a placeholder icon based on filetype, rather than a small version of the picture, like PNGs do. The Native preview remains blank, the same as for PNGs.
Robert2
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Robert2 »

On Windows 10 64 bits, the Quick Viewer Draft pane displays the wepb pictures correctly. The Native pane remains blank.
Note that I installed the “WebP Image Extensions” CODEC from https://www.free-codecs.com/webp_image_ ... wnload.htm
HTH
Robert
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

EMathews3 have you disabled IE by any chance?
EMathews3
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by EMathews3 »

Probably Yes at some point, not sure about now, but don't remember how to check that. My %LocalAppData%\Microsoft\Windows\INetCache\IE is current and gets re-populated if I clear it out. Control Panel / Windows Features:
Now trying turning on IE 11, brb after reboot. [Back] Welp that made no difference. I want to disallow internet connections behind my back, but neither on-checking nor un-checking this switch does anything obvious.
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

does your xplorer2 show HTML thumbnails in DRAFT preview tab?
EMathews3
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by EMathews3 »

No, the Preview pane's Native tab renders the HMTL formatting but the Draft tab shows the HTML source. What does that tell us? The Details pane shows the icon for HTML file type. Not sure what "HTML thumbnail" means Haha
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

that tells us your IE is disabled
EMathews3
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by EMathews3 »

Okay well, does that mean Preview Draft uses IE under the hood, so IE needs to be enabled for Preview Draft to work as expected for HTML+WebP+other? BTW IE seems to work fine as a regular browser. Is that different from "IE is disabled"?

I prefer the Preview pane to work exactly as above for HTML files: Draft => source and Native => rendered. If the two tabs showed the same stuff, that would be wrong. Obviously this 'design goal' does not apply to binary files like PNG ... but it would yes apply to human-readable files like XML, Json, etc. And there is also the occasional benefit to seeing the first 320 raw bytes of a binary file (image: TIF, JPG or audio/video/EXE/word-processing/Zip/etc) to identify it apart from its filename-extension and without opening a separate hex-viewer.
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

if you use HELP > HOW DO I? menu, do you see the video links?
EMathews3
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by EMathews3 »

Yes the "How do I?..." window is full of links that are live, and open IE11 to the video pages on YouTube. YT does not render in IE, but that's okay because I do not use IE, thus it should stay uninstalled or at least disabled (after we're done figuring out this issue).

Before enabling IE the other day, YT videos played only in Firefox 89 and not in my other browsers. Error message is Image The "Learn how" button opens to Fix video and audio playback problems on Firefox for Windows regardless of which browser is in use. The missing subsystem is Media Feature Pack for Windows 8.1 N and KN Editions When I want flawless video watching, I open Pale Moon browser in a Linux virtual machine.

After enabling IE the other day, YT videos now play in all my browsers except IE11, and a new browser that's in only alpha/beta release.
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

so my earliest clue about "disabled IE" doesn't apply. Sorry I don't have any other clues :shrug: