declone .15 finds similar documents

Discussion & Support for xplorer² professional

Moderators: fgagnon, nikos, Site Mods

nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

declone .15 finds similar documents

Post by nikos »

AI code finds not just identical but similar (text) documents. You can find similar revisions (minor edits) of DOC, PDF and other text documents
(note: you can add source code too extending the DOCUMENT type for CPP/H/C/whatever using program settings)
does it work well for YOUR documents? Try it out setting document category and approximate scanning and let me know if completely unrelated files are discovered as "similar"

Gandolf
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: declone .15 finds similar documents

Post by Gandolf »

Checked with documents, 95%, same extension UNCHECKED. Seems to work. Regarded as similar files and their backups (which were missing small changes made to the original). 90% regarded two Christmas CD lists as similar. Very different order of listing of titles, but similar contents. I'm not sure what to expect as "similar".

Different problem (in a previous version, haven't checked with this version). Started an image scan, 100,000+ files, contents identical. As you wrote "the best advice is to let declone work and do something else" so I did something in a text editor. DeClone grabbed focus when it started phase 3. Not a good idea since I touch type and my be reading from printed matter, and not looking at the screen.

A suggestion. From the list of matching files, copy file name and path to clipboard. "Export selection as text" gives the information, but it still needs re-formatting to get Path\FileName. Using "Shell menu" then "FileMenu Tools" gets what I wanted.

On a totally different subject - Are the fires in Greece and Turkey affecting you? From the news I've seen it all looks very horrific.
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

thanks for the feedback
not sure how deskrule grabbed your focus, it isn't doing anything special, just showing a progress window?
to copy out paths, use ALT+C like in xplorer2.
the fires in Greece and Turkey affecting you
I am in north greece and here we have different climate and vegetation, so fires aren't that big deal. But it did scorch the lower half of the land :(

ps. This similar documents idea, it sounded interesting to me, but I can't think of any practical applications. Perhaps to get rid of older revisions
Gandolf
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Gandolf »

nikos wrote: 2021 Aug 09, 17:41 ... not sure how deskrule grabbed your focus, it isn't doing anything special, just showing a progress window? ...
You mean DeClone, not DeskRule.
DeClone hasn't taken focus when I tried just now. I'll keep an eye open and try to give you more information if it does it again. It may be something strange related to another program.

nikos wrote: 2021 Aug 09, 17:41 ... to copy out paths, use ALT+C like in xplorer2...
Thank you. Alt+C works fine. As usual, I didn't read the help file!! I now see there is a list of keyboard shortcuts. It might be worth adding it to the right click context menu anyway, since "Export selection as text" is there.

nikos wrote: 2021 Aug 09, 17:41 ... I am in north greece and here we have different climate and vegetation, so fires aren't that big deal. But it did scorch the lower half of the land :( ...
I'm pleased that you are out of the way of the fires. Let's hope they don't spread further north...
Gandolf
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Gandolf »

DeClone grabs focus.

Editing in EmEditor.
DeClone took focus when phase 3 started.
DeClone finding exact picture duplicates, 110,572 files.
Preview pane open (floating) in DeClone.
Other applications running: Maxthon 6, ZTreeWin, AptEdit & EmEditor.
It doesn't appear to always happen.
Don't know what else to tell you!
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

I don't know either but I'll keep an eye for it

wrt new similar document detector, have you found any sign of trouble, e.g. similar documents that aren't discovered or unrelated documents presented as similar?
Gandolf
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Gandolf »

I seem to have got into a situation I can't get out of. I don't know what I've done.

I start a new project.
With all file properties cleared I get the following, with either Documents or All types:

File type: Documents.
Automatic: Un-checked.
All file properties cleared in Advanced window.
Options: Same extension and contents un-checked.

New project summary:
Compare same types: True

Compare these properties
ItemNameDisplay,Size
Check file content: False

OR

File type: All types
Automatic: Un-checked.
All file properties cleared in Advanced window.
Options: Same extension and contents un-checked.

New project summary:
Compare same types: True

Compare these properties
ItemNameDisplay,Size,DateModified
Check file content: False

Why is it showing that it's going to compare ItemNameDisplay, Size (& DateModified)? It's as if clearing All file properties does not clear the file properties, but loads some sort of default. If I'm checking similar files I don't expect the size to be the same. Indeed, with all file types, it found only two zip files, of different sizes, which probably were similar (judging from the names). The other day it found more files that were similar. The new project summary does not seem to display what I have asked it to do.
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

size is necessary for similar documents, but it is checked with the tolerance you defined

in general, if you remove all properties declone will replace them with defaults appropriate for your scan
Gandolf
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Gandolf »

Hmmm. So if size is necessary, will similar documents find as similar a document that has had text added, and it's backup? I assume not.
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

well if you add lots of text it won't be similar any more, if you add a little, it will be
Gandolf
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Gandolf »

nikos wrote: 2021 Aug 11, 05:42 I don't know either but I'll keep an eye for it
It doesn't appear to make any difference what I'm doing. Reading an article on the Internet while DeClone was running phase 1. Phase 3 started and DeClone took focus. It must be something on my system, but I can't think what. Windows 8.1 by the way.
EMathews3
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by EMathews3 »

In the new "Choose property" dialog:
- Wishing it could be resizable in both directions.
- Choosing a new item from the "Property categories" dropdown ignores the filter/type-ahead field, but also does not clear it - so the display becomes inconsistent. Of course, typing anything in the filter field then re-applies the updated filter, so the display is again consistent. Maybe the two controls could trade positions horizontally? Or the filter text could become a different color when a new category is selected, to indicate it is 'out of date' or 'not used right now', and then return to a normal color when it again becomes 'current' or 'yes used right now'.

In the "Quick instructions" and similar dialogs, the height exposes about 80% of the text, and re-sizing the window or using the scrollbar expose the remainder. Wishing the default height to be taller, so the scrollbar is greyed out by default. Or maybe the window size could be saved, so the re-sizing needs doing almost only once.
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

:thumbup: