declone .16 finds similar pics

Discussion & Support for xplorer² professional

Moderators: fgagnon, nikos, Site Mods

nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

declone .16 finds similar pics

Post by nikos »

3 months in the making, here's the final alpha version that can do everything, including similar photos
click for demo video: http://youtu.be/48NBrUFq5BM

if everything goes well, the next version should be a BETA, meaning running much faster
thanks for any feedback so far
Gandolf
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: declone .16 finds similar pics

Post by Gandolf »

Sorry, but NO!!

Default settings:
Well, similar images did have two cats, that was about all that was similar. Clock movements, not really anything like each other. PCB's - opposites sides of the board. St. Luke's Chelsey, the images were very different.
It appeared that similarity of name was the primary concern. All the similar images had similar names.

Similar images default options:
Compare these properties
Photo.DateTaken,ItemNameDisplay,Size
Check file content: False

I would think that for similar images then the name is likely to be different, the date taken is likely to be different and the size will almost certainly be different. Why does it show it's going to compare Photo.DateTaken,ItemNameDisplay,Size? Does it mean that they must match by 90%? If so, then what about the same image that has been resized?

If I remove the Name option, then the results are much better. I can't remove size and date taken as well, which would make much more sense, because the defaults are then set.

Using another similar images program got the sort of results I would expect. In that I can exclude name and width & height, but keep the aspect ratio the same. It therefore finds re-sized images as similar.

I'll stick to checking for identical only thank you!
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

if you change the default settings, you take the blame ;)
default check for similar pics means search by content and only use DATE TAKEN as a guide (it is just for sorting them really)
lnbrantley

Post by lnbrantley »

using beta .19 to find similar pics:

Agree with Gandalf - this just doesn't work for me.

I would prefer to be able to turn off all attributes - ignore names, ignore date taken, ignore size, ignore them all.
If Aspect Ratio was an attribute, that would make sense. Otherwise the only measure considered should be image similarity.

Find.Same.Images.OK and DupDetector work for similar images, but i-DeClone doesn't. Too many false positives and false negatives.
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

did you leave the default settings on or you used your own? Default means check content and sort by date taken
otherwise you are blaming declone for doing what YOU have asked it to
Gandolf
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Gandolf »

Nikos, The automatic settings are illogical!

Search for: Photos
Options: Find exact duplicates only
Folder to search: ONLY ONE FOLDER
Search subfolders: UNCHECKED
Advanced: Automatic, based on scan type
Name
Size
Date modified
Width

In a single folder, there CANNOT BE files with the same name. Therefore, if only one folder is listed and subfolders is unchecked, Name should not be compared. Date modified, no way if I'm looking for identical files. The whole point is that they will have different names, and different dates.

Compare these properties
ItemNameDisplay,Size,DateModified,Image.HorizontalSize
Check file content: True

Compare these properties does not make sense. But you say if we don't use the default settings, then we will get wrong results. I don't understand.
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

but YOU turned on expert mode and unselected the default subfolders option, and now you are blaming declone? ;)
Gandolf
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Gandolf »

O.K. Expert mode NO.

DeClone will now search subfolders - POINTLESS SINCE THE SUBFOLDER IS CALLED "DUPLICATES"
EMathews3
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by EMathews3 »

Obviously those other programs will give different results - iDeClone is a different *kind* of program. Real-world application of AI for practical uses is very cool!