xplorer2 update

Discussion & Support for xplorer² professional

Moderators: fgagnon, nikos, Site Mods

nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: xplorer2 update

Post by nikos »

Gandolf wrote: 2021 Sep 28, 14:23 If /N is for removable drives, then it doesn't seem to work for the USB drives. They are not shown if the drives are not powered.
can you give me some more information on this problem?
with a previously browsed SCSI drive disconnected and /N option, does xplorer2 get stuck when it starts or not?
if it does, can you tell me if you have ticked the advanced option "don't check for empty drives" ?

also, when you right click on such a (connected) drive, I mean right click on its drivebar icon, do you see SAFELY REMOVE menu command or just EJECT?
Gandolf
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Gandolf »

x² does not hang. In fact the giveaway that the drives are not there is that it opens very fast and shows Desktop on most tabs, rather than the correct directory.

The SCSI drives are connected to the server so are, in effect, network drives. The problem with them is that I sometimes change, or remove, the drive in the caddy, so the drive I have listed in x² is no longer available, although there may be a drive there, but not with the correct directories. They can only be un-mounted from the physical button on the drive. No point in a menu option since you have to physically un-plug the drive from the caddy, so un-mounting it is done from the drive. The caddy position has the drive letter, not the physical drive.

The USB drives are locally plugged into the desktop computer, and are usually the problem if I haven't powered all of them.
Start x², without the USB drives powered, but they are connected.
Desktop is displayed in most of the tabs. The drives are not shown in the drivebar (I don't have it displayed normally).
Power the USB drives, they appear in the drive bar but the tabs still display Desktop. Using "Folder Groups|Startup" the tabs are restored to their correct directories, although the tab selected is not the tab that was selected when x² was closed. Not a big problem.

The USB drives have a "Safely remove" option in the right click menu. It disables the drive, but the drive\directory is still displayed in the tab, selecting a directory displays an error - "... not accessible. The device is not ready."

The drive bar right click menu "lost" a drive. I use USB safely remove from Crystal Rich Ltd. and, after using the x² right click menu I could not safely remove the other partitions on the physical drive with USB safely remove. It thought they were still in use by the system. It would appear x² was, in some way, still holding them, even though it was closed. I used a forced stop.

"Don't check for empty drives" was unchecked. Checking it didn't change anything that I could see.

Now I know about "Folder Groups|Startup" the problem is largely solved, although it's a pity it doesn't select the tab that x² was closed with.

I hope that gives you more information. The USB drives are the main problem, the SCSI drives are usually always there.
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

thanks I thought it was blocking xplorer2 on startup
Gandolf
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Gandolf »

No.
x² takes it's time if the drives are available, but that is what I would expect since some directories have tens of thousands of files.
Gandolf
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Gandolf »

nikos wrote: 2021 Sep 28, 13:52 ... i'll see what i can do about new files and re-sorting
5.1.0.0. I duplicate a file that is at the bottom of the list and the duplicate appears at the top instantly. Thank you, it makes my life so much easier not having to wait for ever!