Windows 11 layout weirdness(es)

Discussion & Support for xplorer² professional

Moderators: fgagnon, nikos, Site Mods

Tuxman
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Windows 11 layout weirdness(es)

Post by Tuxman »

I decided to start a new thread to collect x²'s GUI weirdnesses I noticed on Windows 11. :)

-------------------------

Broken "X" buttons on docked panels.

I mean, they do work, so they're not technically "broken", but still, the label is off:

-------------------------

WIndows's "experimental" Unicode is still not supported well.

Has been broken on Windows 10 already, starting in the installer, and it even continues in the context menu:

Tux. ; tuxproject.de
registered xplorer² pro user since Oct 2009, ultimated in Mar 2012
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Windows 11 layout weirdness(es)

Post by nikos »

can you check if windows 11 have the marlett font installed?
Tuxman
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Tuxman »

I could. It does not.
Tux. ; tuxproject.de
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

that would explain it... what about Wingdings, are they there?
Tuxman
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Tuxman »

They are. (This system was upgraded from Windows 10 though, so I'm not sure whether it is Windows-11-related.)
Tux. ; tuxproject.de
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

win10 has the marlett font.
so win11 to save amazing amount of 27,724 bytes occupied by marlett.ttf, decided to break all the older programs that use it :roll:
let's see if it will reappear for the final release of win11...
johngalt
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by johngalt »

I just cleanly installed Windows 11 final after running the Insiders Preview (DEV) builds for ~ 4 months.

Not upgrade from Insiders, not Install win 10 and then upgrade, but fully, cleanly, reinstalled Windows 11 directly.

Marlott is not here. Also, doesn't seem to be available from the Store either.

johngalt
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by johngalt »

I have a different issue, and I haven't figured out how to fix it.
  • Cleanly installed Windows 11. I've cleanly installed during IP testing as well.
  • I have 2 monitors, 1 a 23 inch 1080p (1920*1080), the other a 27 inch 4K (3840*2160).
  • The 4K monitor has DPI scaling enabled, at a level of 150%
  • During X² install I enable multi-monitor manifest.
  • I'm using X² x64 via a normal install (not portable, and default location).
DPI scaling This breaks on X² in the weirdest way. X2 shows extremely small fonts (particularly in the actual panes) on both monitors. So, I change the X² executable's properties (

Code: Select all

compatibility tab --> change settings for all users --> Change high DPI settings --> High DPI scaling override
) to System (Enhanced) so that the fonts are larger, as they should be, showing pretty normal.

However, I have 4 defined profiles, plus the default profile, and 2 of those profiles seem to ignore this setting change above,. I've gone through and verified that settings and layout settings in the advanced options are identical across all 5 profiles, as far as I can see, But 2 profiles act as if I have not made the setting change above, and 3 profiles respect the change.

What am I missing?

nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

there's no clean solution about multimonitor issues, some people get by either ticking or unticking the multimonitor manifest installer option. For others, only tweaking the compatibility display/DPI options have any results.
sorry I only have a laptop and cannot help more

anyway, good multimonitor support for wildly varying DPI I think is beyond the reach of old school desktop programs like xplorer2
only the metro apps could do it natively. But then you get something that looks good and does nothing :)
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

I just got prompted to upgrade to win11. So it looks like the deed is done and I must find a workaround for missing marlett font

has anyone managed to install win11 on a VM? I read that virtualbox fails the "hardware requirements"
Tuxman
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Tuxman »

nikos wrote: 2021 Oct 11, 16:39 So it looks like the deed is done and I must find a workaround for missing marlett font
How many "icons" are affected?
Tux. ; tuxproject.de
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

only the X in the dock panes

ps does win11 have the webdings font?
Tuxman
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Tuxman »

It does.

An SVG file would probably be better here?
Tux. ; tuxproject.de
johngalt
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by johngalt »

nikos wrote: 2021 Oct 10, 13:55 there's no clean solution about multimonitor issues, some people get by either ticking or unticking the multimonitor manifest installer option. For others, only tweaking the compatibility display/DPI options have any results.
sorry I only have a laptop and cannot help more

anyway, good multimonitor support for wildly varying DPI I think is beyond the reach of old school desktop programs like xplorer2
only the metro apps could do it natively. But then you get something that looks good and does nothing :)
Thing is, though, I've found settings that work for me as close to what I want as possible - but only in 2 of my custom profiles and the default profiles.

The other 2 it doesn't work. And it does not matter in what order I open them, so it's not "The first 3 profiles work, then the 4th one opened does not" or anything like that.

thing is, when I did a complete revamp of my profiles recently, I started after a clean install of Windows and X². and then used the default profile to create all the other profiles. All of my color settings, and various other customizations made to default with no folders open were copied to each custom profile perfectly fine. It's only that DPI scaling that is failing - badly - on two profiles. I'm completely lost - I even went line by line and compared the advanced settings of each profile - 100% identical, except for profile name. Luckily those are the two least used profiles - but I do need them every now and again, and having them so tiny is a PITA.

johngalt
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by johngalt »

nikos wrote: 2021 Oct 11, 16:39 I just got prompted to upgrade to win11. So it looks like the deed is done and I must find a workaround for missing marlett font

has anyone managed to install win11 on a VM? I read that virtualbox fails the "hardware requirements"
If you have the TTF file from Windows 10, it should be easily installable into Windows 11.

If you have the file, can you send it to me? I'll install and test for you.